Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit up one of my favorite spots in the rocky this past weekend when I was home and had a great day. I was using an olive craw pattern in size 6 with polar flash and they were killing it. Caught about 20 but nothing too large, I feel that a the bigger ones have made there way back into the lake.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378259098.859411.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1378259138.896851.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I was saying hip waders my most productive time in the rocky throughout the years has been June, I'm always in toledo for mid September so I never really fish it until the steelhead come in. Why would the bigger smallies come back in the river though? Plenty of food in the lake and the water is perfect temp for them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't know why they do it, but I know it did heat up last year in mid-September right when people were reporting steelhead in the river. Kinda surprised me, since I thought the same thing (Lake Erie having plenty of food for them)

·
multi species angler
4,338 Posts
Smallies spawn in the spring. Suckers run in late winter early spring.

lund 1775 pro v se

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have never seen a Smallie spawning in the fall.....it may happen but I don't see why they would wait. There must be another reason for them to come back into the rivers.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There are large smallies that stay in the river systems all year and never migrate out into the lake. In the spring you get a mix of lake spawners thrown in as well. I think the local fish start putting on the feed bags this time of year to get fat for the winter so people are having more success catching them. $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts