rocky river

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by clevelandangler, Jul 6, 2008.

1. nice to meet everyone ! im thinking about going to rocky river monday , what are u guys catching onshore and what kinda bait r u using , can i cast deep with out getting hung up in weeds or is a bobber the thing of choice ..thanks guys

2. Welcome to the forum.

Lately on the Rocky River I have been catching smallmouth bass, catfish, sheephead, carp, bluegills, and rockbass. I wade in the river to cover more ground and more easily get to where the fish are. The water is warm enough on a hot day to just wear a bathing suit and some water shoes. There aren't really weeds to get hung up on but there is a lot of moss in certain areas. You could successfully fish the river anyway you want, bait beneath a float (this is what I do), casting hardware/lures, or tightlining on the bottom. Crawfish meat is an excellent bait that just about any kind of fish in the river will bite. I cut the crawfish in half and only fish a half at a time. Nightcrawlers are good too, I use Gulp nightcrawlers. I also use soft plastic minnows and streamers, (you could use live minnows too). For the gills I use tiny marabou jigs tipped with a Gulp waxworm, and for carp I use corn. If you prefer to cast I'd suggest using salt tubes to tick along the bottom. Good luck.

John

3. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

to further elaborate, i was pretty sucessfull yesterday on roostertail spinners. couple good sized cats.

but as to getting snagged, i stayed off the bottom where i was because i lost a good 5 or so tubes/lead head jigs in less than 20 minutes. its frustrating as all hell. maybe it depends on the area. i think next time i will wet wade out a bit and hopefully will be able to see whats in the deeper water a little better before i hit the bottoms

whereabouts are you guys heading when you are there? any particular stretches of the river better than others?

4. All of it. If you're into steelhead fishing, this is the time of year when you do your homework. Pays off when you find the out of the way/not obvious structure to work on a weekend between the crowded spots. I will pick a stretch and wade it well, keeping notes of anything interesting that I can see. Best if you can go with someone else to park one car at the beginning and leave the other at the end. Therefore, you can cover two or three miles per trip, catching some fish along the way. Concentrate on the deeper spots during the summer - which will also produce during the winter. I will hit the real deep ones with a float tube and portable depth finder to get depths over my head.

I went out for a little yesterday in the upper portion of the rocky after the water cleared to find a hole/run from last year filled in by silt/gravel. A new one is probably upstream, which will be the start of my next trip.

5. Hit the rocky this eveing after meeting a client... in the area.. it was it was relaxing and i did not see not one other person fishing..... weird..

put on the old tennis shoes and shorts.. and slipped in the water.... Fished the upper Streaches from 8 until 9:45....

I caught a couple smallies, little guys on an little blue fox spinner.... then as it got dark i got a little crazey..... I started throwing some top water plastic frogs.. Holy smokes!!

I went 3 for 6 on some nice smallies .. 14 to 16 inches... i wish i brought a camera... i lost a biggin due to my impatience.... I hope the rain delys a bit so i can go down and expierce this again....

Frank

6. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

when you guys say upper stretches does that mean closer to the lake or farther from it? i guess im wondering if staying in the metropark area, which seems to be more crowded, is better or worse than hitting the river further south.

7. Excellent advice! Scouting streams in the summer is one of the key ways to take your fishing to the next level. When the streams get extremely low and clear you can find the holes within the holes or see firsthand just what kind of structure exists to hold fish.

In my book at least...upper refers to upstream, more towards the stream's source. Lower refers to downstream, more towards the lake. There are fish of all sizes and species dispersed all throughout the river. Lake run fish entering the river at spawning times would be limited too how far upstream they can migrate due to various boundaries.

With all the public access to the Rocky River available through the Metro Parks, I see no reason why anyone should ever have to fish in a crowd. Sure crowds will gather at the fords, (which is why I usually avoid them), but any angler willing to do a little walking/exploring can find plenty of productive water to fish in relative seclusion. It really pays off to wade. When I wade the river this time of year I encounter few to no other anglers this time of year.

John

8. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

im gonna have to explore a bit more then. ive only been to the rr a few times and always have stayed in the park areas, but would like to explore more secluded spots further upstream. now is the time i suppose.

if anyone is planning on going and would like some company, im game.

9. Yanky.... that is the best route indeed..... is go to you favorite public location and walk up stream (north) and find a few holes like that... and do that a few times here and there.. next thing ya know.. you got your holes...as Cranuim posted... best part of this @ this time of year.. you can remember these spots for the steelies... i did this the last 2 weeks... and it was fun.. brought back alot of memories as a kid searchin for honey holes on the cuyahoga...

If this weather cooperates, i will be down on Sunday Morning with 2 other fellas....

Frank

10. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Good luck sunday frank.
    I was golfing in the metro parks today.
    and seen the river. Its ragging. :)

11. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

id be down for sunday frank, as long as the weather holds out. i checked the waterflow levels for the rr today and it is indeed beastly.

let me know the details when you figure out if you are going and i would love to meet up!

12. JDBFISHIN

JDBFISHIN Back in the game

Yanky, that Fishon guy knows his stuff and is a blast to go fishin with, I know I've been there with him. HALLA IF YA HERE ME!!!

13. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

yeah if you put a Diawa 27 lcs and a trolling stick in his hand :p Nah Frank is a pretty good river rat....and he's pretty good on the computer. :p

14. i am the master of small bass.... plus im really guud on t he computer...

LOL

Frank

15. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

I am a computer

16. Dupa jas!

LOL

Any way... I will post on Sat night what the game plan is... as now .. i have no idea.....

Frank

17. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i was down there today exploring new "upstream" spots. dissapointing to say the least but it was a new area to me and im sticking to that. at least the river level is down and clarity is not too bad. its still flowing semi fast though.

and yes, im still down for sunday. lookin forward to it actually. no backin out now frank. hah! :)

18. Berea just received nearly an inch of rain over the past hour (.87"). That should make things unfishable for Sunday. Right now, 127cfs. You will probably see 800cfs or more in a few hours.

19. Well yanky it gonna have to be another day...

booooo .. oh well.. mabey this week some time...

Frank