Rocky River

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Kilowatz, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Any Steelies in the river around the ford?

2. I really don't know for a fact but my guess would be yes. That was always one of my faves when they stocked cohos, chinook, and steelhead many years ago. I actually had a whipped 25(est.)# chinook at my feet while standing on the ford til the genious next to be hit it in the nose with my net after volunteering to net it for me! It took off downstream like a locomotive and nealry spooled me before the hook pulled out. I was using coho spawn and it hit kinda tap, tap, tap, just like a perch bite! Seems like that was in 1979 or 80 but not sure about that. That spot is hot.

3. bcnulater

bcnulater ~~~~~~~~~

There's always steelies in the river, I'm curious if anyones been down this week? Planning on going Saturday unless it's iced over. Ice/flow report anyone?

4. The river has been at flood stage for a day or two and is on its way back down, the ice that was there is gone. It shouldn't ice over again with the temps they are calling for. Check the flow charts in the steelhead forum for a flow update.

5. bcnulater

bcnulater ~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the report AntHol, going down today to try my luck then.
    sounds like we should be catching it just right.

6. JDBFISHIN

JDBFISHIN Back in the game

Got my first one this fall/winter down by the Nature Center was about a 5 pounder, not big but a heck of a fight. Took a spawn sack about nicklke size with a peach color neting for the sack. Was cold as HELL but the river was not muddy and had a moderate flow.

7. bcnulater

bcnulater ~~~~~~~~~

Anyone been down to the Rocky lately? Thinking of going this weekend.

8. tractor5561

tractor5561 "FISH,HUNT,LIVE"

where abouts on the river are you guys fishin?I live in medina and do alot of fishing on the rock in the summer but was hoping to try for some steelies this winter. I fish mostly around where i live which is the north and west branches. The places i go are on bagdad road in medina, and abbeyville road in medina.The spots that i fish there are usually accessible by bridges and thats where i start.Ive had good luck in the spots all summer for smallies and all kindsa other fish. Do the steelies get out that Far to the spots i mentioned? Does anyone know of places close by that are any good to fish this time of year(specific directions...im a little directionally challenged)? And are the spots that im fishing any good for steelies?

9. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Bit by Musky bug

10. mj39

mj39

i went on saturday jan 3 and stayed between cedar point rd and I-90 bridge. there was a lot of people on the good spots though. what're you guys using? first time going for steelhead for me not sure what to use

11. I have been using spawn sacks and occassionally jig and maggot. With the weather lately looks like ice and slush are the only things in the forecast for awhile.:mad: