close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rocky River Walleye/Steelhead ?s

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pike, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Pike

Pike

Part of my family has recently moved to Rocky River from the east side of Cleveland and I am going to be spending Thanksgiving there this year. I do not know how much free time I will have during the day, but I would like to get out and fish some while I am there. My best opportunity to get out will be evening and early morning. Is there any good shore access for Walleye in that area in the evenings or is most of the fishing further west. My second question is are people still fishing the mouth of the rocky river for steelhead with spoons and the like or has most of the fishing moved into the river. Thanks for your help in advance.

Pike

2. hey buddy!

i live in rocky river and would be glad to get out with you an evening or two. most everyone is taking steelie's in the upper rips and pools of the rocky. there are still many being caught on spoons, but mostly jig and maggot. they are hitting from the marina all the way past morely ford. if you need a fishing pal/guide for one day let me know. i can do it maybe an evening this week, but i am really wanting to wait for the L and D tourney on sat. you should fish with us. it only cost twenty bucks and it will be fun.

as far as walleye goes, no walleye are being caught from shore right now. they have moved way out into the lake. but steelhead are plenty in the rock. let me know.

3. Pike

Pike

saintmathew,

Thanks for the offer. If I make it out fishing it will be on Friday. I am going to be busy moving some furniture on saturday, and will be heading home on Sunday. I still might cast a little for walleyes at night just to get out but definitely plan on hitting the river on friday. I think that I still have some jigs that I purchased for fishing up at conneaut a year or so ago (we got washed out). Again thanks for the offer.

Pike

4. ohioman76

ohioman76 Avid Crappie Hunter

Hey Saint how ya doin. I'm really interested in fishing for steelhead on saturday in that tournament. I'm new to the whole thing so I would probally need alot of help like what test of string to use what size pole ect. I fish alot down here in Mahoning County but I'm reading all this stuff about Steelheads and I'm starting to get steelhead fever. Whats the address for the tournament? Also what color and weight are the best Jigs. Can you fish from the shore or do you need to wade. All assistance is greatly appreciated. Also would it be o.k. if I brought my buddy. We are both Navy recruiters and love to fish in the few minutes we get off. :mad:

5. First off, you don't need to ask my permission to bring your buddy. It's a one man tournament with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. I will post a thread for it after I reply here, but L&D Bait and Tackle is putting it on. The owner's name is Pete. It costs $20.00 per person and is open to ALL Ohio tribs where Steelhead are caught. I don't think you can fish from a boat. I am sure it's onlyin the tribs and surf. The number at Pete's is 216-226-3474. His address is 18508 Detroit Ave. Lakewood, OH. You must pay your fee and fill out your entry form by Friday. The tournament starts at 6 and ends at 5. There is a size limit to 2 fish entered only. They must be 26" or more. No cut fish either. Check in for fish is 1-5pm.

PM me! I am getting together a bunch of guys to fish that day. Don't worry about the tourney or winning. It's all in fun. Maybe you can come up here Friday and camp at my place with us and we can get you registered and all and leave from here. I am PMing you with the rest of the info. Cool?

Mat

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

I'll be up on Friday IF the river isn't blown out. Any river reports? Looks like you guys got a decent amount of rain. I know we did down here.

7. Dingo

Dingo

Doesn't look good on the Rocky. I drove past there a couple times today -- high and muddy. Won't probably return to fishable levels until Sunday, at the earliest. My bet is that the L&D tournament scheduled for Saturday is postponed. Pete doesn't like to have the tourney when the fishing is a bit difficult (i.e. muddy water). Hard to give away mounts as prizes if a good number of big steelies aren't checked in.

I'll check conditions tomorrow, but I'm not too confident that a steelhead trip is possible the next few days.

8. Was postponed until next Sat, as I thought and Dingo said. I was down today, water low and a little muddy. I don't know about fishable. I am going to mess around tommorow. My wife needs the space. Let you know.

Mat

9. River was muddy and fast today...but while I was driving over the bridge at the nature center and the point I did see a fly fisherman with one on....

10. Well, the day was beautiful. No rain like was said. But the water was very low and lots of gear was lost. No one landed a fish to take home and Paul's wife made him go home early (hahaha, "I had to say it!") Well, it was for a good reason. After you guys left, Paul, there was a nice one landed by this guy who's kids were throwing rocks in the direction I was fishing. I told them to stop and he obviously did not give a **** about the other people fishing, cause I thought I heard him to tell them they could keep it up. Well, next week will be better. I have to hit the grand soon and I am taking spawn next weekend. I will bring maggots and spawn. You guys just bring your gear and leave the cell phone at home. Ha Ha. Later.

Had a real great time, regardless with some new friends! Awesome!

Mat