Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious about the rocky for a while, but never fished it! I don't know of any spots and would appreciate some info on some! Also, what are some ways to fish a river? I've never fished one before.

Thanks!:Banane54:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about bass fishing. For fishing small shallow rivers on foot, I keep it simple. You need lures to fish the top, middle, and bottom. For topwater, I like a 1/8oz. buzzbait (any color seems to work when the skirt is that small) just about anywhere, maybe a floating Rap, Torpedo, or Zara Puppy for areas with slow/slack water. For the mid depths and bottom, 1/8oz. jig and 3" grub (white, smoke, or watermelon), green tubes, baby bass flukes, and small T-rigs. A couple shallow cranks like a small Big O or similar can be a lot of fun too. There is no need to bring the kitchen sink.

When fishing a small river, I'm usually on foot. It's not uncommon for me to throw a couple weights and hooks in a bag of worms, tuck a buzzbait and/or a crank or two under my had and set out on foot. It's usually more about finding a few fish than it is about honing a presentation. Good looking areas usually hold an active fish or two, and if you put the lure in the right place, they are generally cooperative.

To decide where to fish, generally, if you can see the bottom forget about it. Look for areas deep enough that you can't see the bottom. I usually walk upstream, if I can. Make long casts to the prime locations, such as the very tip of a current break off of a piece of cover or structure. I try to check areas that hold active fish first, i.e. the upstream side of a current break. Then work the current seam, and finally in the eddie on the downstream side. If you don't catch a fish in a few minutes in a spot that looks good, move on. If you miss a fish, remember where it is, and check for it on the way back through, or make a mental note for the next trip. It's not uncommon to find fish holding in an area the size of a toilet bowl on a small river(A spot on a small river comes to mind where you had to make your presentation in a spot the size of a coffee cup comes to mind. Miss it by more than that and you could forget about it. Hit the spot and there was almost always a fish there.).

Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts