Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello is anyone planning on fishing the rocky tomorrow? We drove from west of Toledo Friday and fished the chagrin all day today and two weeks ago we fished 15 hrs in Michigan. We still have yet to catch a steelhead. We flat out just have no clue what we are doing. We have the basics down but fine tunning the set up is where we are stuck. We are planning on heading to the rocky about noon tomorrow it's my fiancé and I. We would love the opportunity to fish along with someone that knows what to do. We are FlyFishing also. Hope someone is willing to go out Tomorrow!!

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been seeing a big difference in center pin and fly rod fishermen but due to money we already invested in our fly rods

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Honestly fly fishing can be a lot Harder to catch steelies, I've had 30 fish days where I watched a fly fisher catch 2 or 3. Your best bet is to swing streamers through the slower holes. Just look for guys fishing and chances are you'll find fish, there aren't many secrets on rocky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I'm learning quick how much harder it is. We would be happy to catch 1 fish at this point. Hoping someone won't be watching the game and will want some company on the river lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fly fishing is MUCH harder. I would drift egg sacks with a pin or a spinning reel through any of the deeper seams. The amount of water you cover is greatly increased and your odds are much better. I fished chagrin twice in the last week with a lot of success and will be back on it tomorrow. Good luck to you. It will be special when it happens!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I strictly fly fish and it kind of depends what you're looking for and your skill/knowledge of reading water. The past 3 weeks I've been out 7 times and only got skunked once when the river really wasn't fishable. To be honest I'd rather work for a 4 fish day (amazing day for fly fishing IMO) than just drift eggs with a centerpin and land 10 but that just is my opinion. There are definitely moments where I've came up to a stretch that some bait fisherman have gone fishless for an hour and within 20 minutes I'm hooked into one. If you're reading water right and you're using the right flies you are going to hook fish with a fly rod I promise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't been on the rocky since wednesday but I'm guessing a lot of it is locked up today even with the warmer temps .... I'm waiting to go out tomorrow and wednesday but I know everyone has different schedules

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this was the 4th time out now. Still no steelhead for us. What a bummer. I did catch a small 6" carp on a white wholly bugger but nothing else today. We lost prob 30$ worth of flies tho which wouldn't be so bad if we was catching them. Guess in two more weeks we will try again. Lot deeper water then the chagrin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Peach egg patterns with red blood dots are deadly this time of the year FYI. Or tie a peach sucker spawn and on your middle yarn use red or orange. Good luck!

·
AKA Rip Chum
791 Posts
I used to fly fish up there for SH quite a bit and it takes time to just learn what holds a fish and what does not. I learned by watching others seeing and spooking fish..wading up on them. If you spook a few wait a while then go back.
Once you find a good hole or run use egg patterns its the only pattern my buddy and I caught fish on. Pink, red dots and orange was best. We used a billion other flies but only a few on a streamer all the rest on eggs a few on sucker spawn.
Once you get the fly the tough part is getting the right weight to get the fly the fish and the right drift.
It took me two seasons up there to figure it out. Once you do the trick is finding water without 100 fisherman already ahead of you. I finally gave up on peaceful fishing on NE Ohio tribs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Float eggs patterns under strike indicators and you will get them. Chuck on enough split shot to get it down pretty quick. I tie my own sucker spawn and other eggs.... way cheaper than buying them and takes about a minute to tie one. You want to be tapping bottom every now and then when drifting. If you are getting caught up too much move the indicator shallower, never getting caught up then move it deeper. Look for water that is about the speed of a walking person as a starting point and look for protected pockets in faster stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I mean it's crazy you haven't hooked up if your fishing the spot pictured above. I know it isn't "right" but i would just. Rig up your fly rod like a pin or spin and drift jig/maggots and eggs under an indicator in slower moving water until you get a hit. 15hrs w/o a fish is no fun.

And BTW you've got a keeper if she keeps going with you and you've got no action. My old lady complains after 20min without a fish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well another weekend is coming upon us. I will be at it again. Haley can't make it due to her bachelorette party but I will be up there around 10 am. I'm about to put a dang minnow on that dang fly rod. I like a challenge but dang lol. Yeah 15 hrs x2 of us and not a single fish. 3 rivers 2 states also. And 16 hr drive time total. I will catch my first steelhead this winter!! Haley will be back at it with me in 2.5 weeks she loves it as much as I do and is getting good with her fly rod finally. In Michigan she was tangling her tippet every cast. Hope to see you guys out there this weekend

1 - 20 of 39 Posts