close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rocky river cleanup - This Saturday 6/7!

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Steel Cranium, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Time to get dirty and give back a little to the steam that provides trout and bass to many throughout the year.

Volunteers are needed for TWO cleanups in the Rocky River Watershed this Saturday, June 7th. These cleanups are part of National River Cleanup 2008, a series of community-based cleanups happening nationwide sponsored by American Rivers. Join tens of thousands of river enthusiasts from around the country as they remove trash from local rivers and streams. Detailed information is provided below:

Annual Rocky River Cleanup
    Saturday June 7
    9AM – Noon
    Meet at the Scenic Park Picnic Area (next to the Emerald Necklace Marina) in the Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation. We’re hoping to be able to cover the entire main stem, up to the Nature Center!!! Trash bags provided. Participants should dress for the weather and bring their own work gloves. Long sleeves, long pants and work boots or old shoes are recommended. Be sure to stick around for hot dogs on the grill following the cleanup! Sponsored by the Rocky River Watershed Council, Cleveland Metroparks and Cuyahoga Soil & Water Conservation District. Contact Jared Bartley at 216-524-6580 x14 or JBartley@cuyahogaswcd.org for more info.

This is the "steelhead" portion of the stream - since many of us who have been fishing the rock for decades contribute each year, it is a good opportunity to get some streamside info during and after the cleanup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champion Creek Cleanup (Medina)
    Saturday, June 7
    9AM – Noon
    Meet at Roscoe Ewing Park in the City of Medina (Guilford Blvd. parking lot, just south of E. Smith Rd.) Trash Bags provided. You will get dirty, so dress appropriately!!! Contact Medina Ward 3 Councilman Mark Kolesar at 330-725-6993 or zoolesar@yahoo.com for more info.

Thank you for your continued dedication to the protection and restoration of the Rocky River Watershed!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check the rocky flow rates at http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?04201500 before you go. If reading under 500cfs and not on a steep drop (i.e still muddy), bring a rod to fish for big lake-run smallies before and/or after the cleanup. Should be getting to be "topwater time". Green/brown 3.5" to 4.5" tube jigs are working well too...

2. Sounds good, I'll try and be there, hope to see some of you there.

3. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

I am in north carolina right now.
    I hope I can be back for this.

4. If you can't, I'll get your smallies from the "soap hole" before the cleanup.

5. Might be a good opportunity for a couple hours of good smallie fishing. The spike in temps should get the topwater bite started. Plenty of good water within 5 mins. of the cleanup site.

6. i will be there on sat,and i plan on fishing before hand.should i bring anything besides tubes.

7. Tubes, spinners, topwaters (like pop-r's, hopefully they will produce), shad imitators in case they have made their way into the river. You can use crankbaits/stickbaits if you know the area well (snags).

8. what time you plan on getting there to fish?

9. Probably around 6:30am. Planning on starting upstream of Rockcliff or near horse ford. Will fish a few areas tonite to determine a hopefully productive starting point. Will probably be too hot to fish after the cleanup.

10. This is GREAT!! I'm in!!!

See you there!

11. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

I dont do that good on smallmouth from the soap hole :(
    I might make it. But i doubt it.

12. Had a great day there about three weeks ago. Non stop action with largest around 18". My last two tries have been poor - moving elsewhere to get fish. My last river smallie exceeding five pounds came from there two years ago.

13. A decent turnout overall, but the number of fisherman were quite short. Had enough to clean most of the river area from the marina to morley ford, with a few spots further upstream. Hopefully, next year's turnout will provide coverage from the marina to Berea.

Fishing beforehand in the rocky was good once I found 'em. First three spots only provided a few rock bass. Last two spots gave up smallies from 12" to 19". All on green/brown tubes. Friday evening gave up a few small bass and a gar further upstream.

Later, brought in a couple of tires, many pounds of various steel/iron pieces, a couple of chairs and enough old clothes for a complete outfit (two boots in different places, boxer shorts, sweats, pants, a few shirts, numerous socks), and quite a few bags of trash.

Carp are getting active, starting the spawn. Channel cats are starting to move in, signaling the last few weeks of the lake run smallmouth fishing.