Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this morning to do some more scouting, with the long-shot chance of gettin' into some smallies. Some of you may know, by now, that they have eluded me... Until today that is!

Started out like every other day; good to be out on the water, but no fish to show for it. I was using an olive wooly bugger for a while, then switched over to a white/chartreuse clouser to see if I could get anything with that. Thats when I heard a voice from behind me... Another fly fisherman!

After a brief conversation, I asked him what he was using. He had a fly that he called a gurgler tied on, and said that was producing the best. After telling him that I was new to fly fishing, he gave me a couple flies and showed me how to use them!

So I tied on the gurgler that he gave me, and walked back to a spot I had seen minnows jumping earlier. First cast, BAM, fish on! It was only about a 6'' smallie, and I barely even felt it on my 7wt, but it was my first smallie on the fly! I worked that same area for a while and had several blowups, but no more hookups.

The next spot I stopped to fish was the same way; lots of blowups, but this time a 4'' gill to show for it, lol! He hit right when I was going to re-cast, and is lucky he didn't go for a ride! Had a nice smallie jump almost all the way out of the water for it, but missed the fly completely.

All in all I had a great time. Even though I didn't feel the fight of any fish that I caught today, it was still a blast watching them hit topwater. Maybe I need to invest in a lighter smallie combo now!!

To the guy I met today: Thanks again, you made my day!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sweet!! Dish the 7wt for a 3wt if you can! Its a lot more fun.

During the spring run the 7wt can be a bit more handy fighting the much bigger smallies that heading up to spawn.

·
Team NuCanoe
527 Posts
Great story, when I told someone about starting to fly fish he gave me his old Orvis 5wt which at the time didnt know if it was from Walmart or wherever until I looked it up.

What does a gurgler look like.....I know open ended question

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet!! Dish the 7wt for a 3wt if you can! Its a lot more fun.
I think I just might! I'm keepin' the 7 for steelhead though!!

meathelmet: the one he gave me looked a lot like the first one in HipWader's link, only in blue, with the addition of 2 rubber leg things.

HipWader: I had on a 3x tippet, I believe, and I don't own any pheasant tail nymphs! Maybe it's time to get the materials and learn how to tie that fly as well?! How do you fish those, just dead drifting off the bottom?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts