Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the River from 6:30-9:00 tonight. River looked good, a little stained, but its getting back to its normal flow. Ended up catching three smallies. Started throwing a pop-r to see if there was any top-water bite going. Wasn't getting anything. Just started using just about everything I had on me. Caught about a 7" fish on a 4" swimbait. Wasn't doing well in the semi-slack water with rocky bottom that I was mainly fishing. I was about to call it quits or move on to some different water when I saw some fish jumping in a spot I hadn't fished too hard back by where I had started. Decided to check it out. Put on my baby torpedo. Decision payed off and had these two decent smallies in about four casts. First fish blew up on the torpedo about two feet in front of me. That was fun! Next fish slammed it 3 casts later and gave a good fight jumping a few times. Missed one more blow up. Love seeing those guys hit top-water, never fails to get me going. Felt good to get out, it had been awhile. Whats everyone else doing well on in the Rocky?

Attachments

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
Nice job!
Size wise this has been the best summer I have seen in the rocky..

Been doing well on poppers and tubes..
Only color working well is green pumpkin... Not sure why but thats all they want

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
Liquid- This is my first summer fishing the Rocky (first summer fishing seriously for bass in general) but as you said I have done well on size, getting pretty good fish almost every time out. I love the pop-r, but fishing the torpedo for the first time was a lot of fun and the different noise/action you get on that lure is cool. Not huge numbers, like some other Ohio rivers and streams I hear about. Although, I already know I am not covering nearly enough ground and not using nearly enough techniques. Not very efficient with a tube yet, but I plan to start throwing them much more b/c I know they are effective for river smallies. Anyways, I hope to get out for a longer time this weekend, fish more area and new holes, and try some tubes and new techniques. Maybe I'll see you out there! Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice pictures.
I am heading to the Rocky River in about ten minutes. I have a Tiny Torpedo but I have never thrown it at the Rock. I have always use the Pop-R for topwater. Now you have talked me into trying it tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts