Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
3 man limit in 2 hours. Dipsey on 3 setting 75 back. Bandits at 50 then 2 oz then out to 120-140. Decent fish most 19-23 inches with 2 27+
We fished that area yesterday. Had a flurry of 6 fish in a 30 min span. Dipsey’s #3 50 back and #1 at 45 back. Worked the spot for another hour or so with nothing else. Thinking the fish dropped down a bit as it was after noon.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It really makes zero difference where you go right now. We caught fish off bay village, Gold Coast and edgewater the past 2 weeks. Easy limits every trip.
The fish are literally everywhere.
Skinny water all the way to 57’ all good.
Doesn’t get much easier than it is right now. Get out there and have fun
BB

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got out with family and ended up with 6 eyes and another dozen throw backs. Only trolled a couple hours because kids wanted to swim more. Best marks was in 51 feet but did get a couple at sunset in 38 feet. Came back to the ramps and that’s when the craziness starts. I know we talked about this but once again i dock my boat in the curtsy dock, get my trailer and back it down only to see another boat tied off. The husband already left to get his boat. I tell the lady in a calm voice that you need to get your trailer first otherwise your just holding up the docks. So I leave to get my boat. Husband comes back and I hear her tell him I yelled at her and copped an attitude with her. So he goes off on my wife and now she’s yelling at my wife. I’m in the boat telling the lady I did not yell at her but to late husband is hot. They move the boat back and I get my boat on the trailer and go park it so I can put my straps on. Once he gets his boat on he pulls in right behind me and puts his straps on his boat telling me I shouldn’t have yelled at his old lady. I tell him I talked to her as calmly as I’m talking to you now to defuse the situation. I even told the lady you know I didn’t yell at you and she admit I didn’t yell but I gave her an attitude. I tried to explain to him you have to get your trailer first and they didn’t know about any curtsy dock but told me they have been doing this for 7 years. Mind you I’ve been going there the past 25 years but there was no way he was listening to me. Wonder why that ramp is such a mess during the day. I saw a police office there directing traffic. I hope they’re there next time to get the official lay of the land on how that ramp is used because nobody knows what there doing. Mad dash of whoever ties off first on the dock is not the way to do it. good luck,
Frickster

·
Banned
72 Posts
That guys a donkey. Few days ago, I get my trailer as my girls holding the dock lines waiting on me.. I pull around to find a guy loaded in right in front of me. There were three empty ramps he could have chose. I said what are you doing ? He said I dont know. Hahah. fair enough.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It was very busy at 6:00am Saturday but very orderly........
Now when we came back in around noon it was a total cluster @!$&. Was a line of trying to launch. And a line in the water trying to retrieve. Luckily my buddy and I can run the boat and back a trailer so he’ll drop me off and can sit out from the dock and wait to see which one I can back into that’s open or pull in behind someone retrieving and I can back in when they pull out. I can’t remember seeing it that busy there ever
Sorry. This was at edgewater

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Here’s a positive. Just imagine how much money is being generated by the ramp fee and how beautiful those places will be when the money is used for improvements.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Same thing happened to me at Mosquito recently. Park boat at courtesty dock. Go get trailer. Back into open spot on ramp, lane 1. Go around get boat. Guy tells me I cut in front of him? Been doing this a long time, some buys have no common sense.

·
captainhook
1,042 Posts
It really makes zero difference where you go right now. We caught fish off bay village, Gold Coast and edgewater the past 2 weeks. Easy limits every trip.
The fish are literally everywhere.
Skinny water all the way to 57’ all good.
Doesn’t get much easier than it is right now. Get out there and have fun
BB
I must be doing something wrong. Went out Thurday and Friday and marked fish everywhere. We only caught 4 each day. Flatlined a couple bandits, and ran dipsy 3 setting with spoons, warm harness, then a Rapala Husky Jerk off the dipsy which caught most of the fish. Last year, at this time, I couldn't even get a second line in the water because the fish were biting it so quick. Lost my mojo, I guess..lol.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think it was just some humble pie.
I can usually get something going but every once in a while she shows us who’s boss!!
its going to get going real soon!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here is my issue. I fish mostly with my dad. He is 87 years old. If a boat is retrieving, I ty on the dock behind his and get the tralior. I’m in line to get the boat, guy pull his out. Before I can back in guy whips in front of me to retrieve his boat before I can back in. Looks at me like I’m wrong.
Some guys fish alone. What are they supposed to do. Some common courtesy will go a long way.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Common courtesy isn’t very common nowadays. Sometimes it’s hard to say whose right/wrong. Marked launch and retrieval lanes could help. I know the pain but like it was on Saturday at edgewater, not sure what could fix that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
At that launch in particular, at least 80% of the people i see recover boats tie it to the dock there going to recover it from and go get trailer. So with that in mind I find it’s easier to do the same. I realize the courtesy dock makes great sense . But at this launch in particular it would be very hard to change they way they do it , especially with the way the lanes are marked for recovery or launch

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went out again on Sunday and the Rocky River police were there so I asked them what is the proper way of retrieving your boat and he said you have to get your trailer first. This keeps the ramp traffic moving. Even if you’re by yourself, docking your boat in the curtsy dock is best way. Going with the thought that if everybody does it wrong I should do it wrong too doesn’t stop the mess at the ramps. When it’s really crowded and backed up this is the reason why. I did see this lady with a kayak just park in the retrieve lane putting her kayak on her car. Something she could do in the parking lot. Then she stopped and starting to talk to folks on the bench. As I walked by to get my trailer I mentioned to her there are boats looking to be retrieved but she was too busy talk to the other people. The rocky river police did say that the ramps are run by the metro park police and to call them to let them know that they need to put someone down there to help folks with the ramp rules. They agree it’s a mess right now but it’s not their jurisdiction. I imagine this goes for Edgewater too. So I recommend we do this to raise awareness.
it also doesn’t help they took 2 ramps out by making them kayak ramps for the business there. With all that ramp money they should put in new ramps just for the kayakers.

Now to my fishing report:
We fished northeast of rocky and started in 51ft to 55ft going mostly East/west. Fished from 7:30am-to noon. We were trolling with 4 dispeys, #3 setting at 100 ft back and #2 setting at 90ft back with spoons. Best spoon was boy/girl silver back, small stinger. I did try inline board with deep diver stick bait with 1-1/2 oz weight 100 ft back and got 2. I struggle with seeing a bite on those with smaller fish so I hate to use these and just drag fish. On a more exciting side I did get a steelhead on dispey in that 55ft water on a small stinger, not sure color name but it was half bright orange and purple. All the fish were deep with sun and no wind. Tough out there without shade.
Good luck,
Frickster

1 - 20 of 53 Posts