close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rocky Fork This Past weekend........

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by smalliehunter, Jul 26, 2004.

1. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

Well i was out at Rocky Fork camping with the family........did some gill/crappie fishing, some night fishing with the boy.......and some major boating......... it was a blast........... HOWEVER........... i did witness something i just will never understand, and it was the first time i have actually seen it done......... there were two guys bow fishing in the shallow water off the camp ground launch ramp.........they were standing/sitting in what looked to be a modified kayak.........in the 10-15 mins that i watched them.........each one took 2 fish a piece......... was pretty amazing to watch....but what took me for a loop.......was they just tossed the fish back into the water......... they were dead fish......... now i know that turtles, etc... will eat them.......but why do that? I beleive they were bow fishing for carp........ it looked to be carp they brought in.......... now i am no fan of the carp.....although they put up a heck of a fight.......... i wouldnt catch one just to kill it and discard........... is this normal with bow fisherman? They dont keep what they shoot? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Are you sure the carp were dead. I've never bowfished myself, but I have seen others do it. I'd say 95% of the time, the fish are still alive when released and they tell me the fish survive. That doesn't address the issue of what else you are putting the fish through, but I'm not sure they are tossing back dead fish.

3. come on they live????? after an arrow goes thru them???got any proof to back that up?
    i know we kill certian amount of fish hooking them in the mouth...but i need some proof that a fiberglass injection doesn't kill them...total B.S.

4. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

I saw a guy bowfishing at Alum Creek, went over and talked to him a while. he had a pile of about 10-15 dead carp stacked up. Needless to say, they were not surviving his arrows. They were big thick fiberglass arrows with an enormous barbed tip.

5. i've had frogs live thru a gigging but i dont think they would make it if i let them go...

6. I could be wrong. I'm sure some of these fish do die. It probably all depends where you hit them. All I know is that the time I saw a guy shooting them, they all swam away afterwards and looked relatively healthy (as healthy as one can look with a hole in its side). May depend on the diameter of the arrow and the type of head used. I, for one, do not agree with the practice and think that it is cruel to the fish despite the outcome.

7. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Oh man, I really would like to have my say on this, but out of repect for this site I will keep my feelings to myself...The only thing I will say is I am not a fan of bowfishing!

8. smalliehunter

They were dead!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

9. Oh man, I really would like to have my say on this, but out of repect for this site I will keep my feelings to myself...The only thing I will say is I am a BIG fan of bowfishing!

10. THarris

THarris CHASING THE BIG 'UNS

That is a good one.... :eek: :confused: :confused: "Some of the fish die"????? They ALL die....

11. traphunter

traphunter Guest

They will be the same people crying when there are none left. Rocky fork has already had a big carp kill this year and now we have people like this! :rolleyes: Im still young and its pretty depressing to know that when I get older and have kids there will no fish left for them to enjoy catching thanks to people like them. Its like trying to play football without a football. We are fishing without any fish to catch. Its a very sad joke. :confused: :(

12. smalliehunter

:confused: You must be a bowfisher........... explain to me the reason you would not or maybe you do, but why you folks do not keep what you kill........I mean to me it seems like a waste, if you cant release the fish because its dead or mortally injured, or because its dead........... yet you dont keep the harvest....... explain that :confused:

13. Sent ya' a PM smallie.

14. NocturnalDeath

NocturnalDeath Boatless

IF you are using what you shoot. Whether it be for food, bait, chum, and you only shoot what you need..

Too bad no bowfishermen here to chime in...

Part of taking a hunter's safety course is learning about wildlife conservation, I think you should have to take a class to get your fishing license...

As far as arrows killing fish... I doubt it... I mean geez if someone shot a bowfisherman with an arrow I'm sure they would just swim away... ;)

15. I used to do much of this myself. I cant imagine a carp making it more than 3 or 4 hours after being shot. If that long. Too big of a hole.....no way I can see this healing even if they were admitted in a carp..... hospital....Cmon look at the holes....the fishheads are barbed.....they were trying to get you off their back for the time being. They did that... they werent concerned and dont have to be concerned according to the state law. Kind of like hunting groundhogs.....you ever eat one of them suckers...how about a coyote? They are a "rough" fish. "Trash".......... Get this, in Kentucky you can bow hunt flatheads......thats right.Bowhunting catfish......I have watched them do it with rigs that have enough lights to light up a football field at night. These provide light 20 feet deep into the water....Cave Run....

16. DarkDeath, I bowfish and I'm here. If you have any questions just send me a PM. Heck, anyone for that matter. Not to argue, but to find out why I bowfish.

Trust me guys, discussing this in an open forum (especially with a lot of r&r carpers) goes downhill in a hurry. This is a great website and I don't want see it go down that road.

17. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

since no one here will take it, I suppose I will. Bow fishing is fine as long as the fish are being harvested. Chum, fertilizer, food, whatever. But come on, shoot and release???? Are your serious? I can honestly say I don't know one deer hunter who shoots and releases a buck. If this is such a great plan, maybe I can bowhunt your family pet and then turn him loose with a gaping bleeding hole thru its body. Is that cool? Any takers????

18. catking

catking Banned

Hey Guys- Hows that old saying go? Don't shoot the messenger? JitterBug was just the messenger ;) bowhazard is also correct. Threads like this can only go down hill, so we can maybe keep it civil ;) You guys know we all have been down this path before, and it just leads to hard feelings.I'm staying neutral in this.......... call me Swiss, I don't care......... :D .C.K

19. I understand the sensitive nature of this subject along with others that have been posted lately (paylakes, etc.), but the way the responses are worded makes me very tentative about posting in the future. If we are not careful, we are going to limit our posting audience and be limited on the subjects discussed and the variety of responses. I enjoy hearing other people's points of view, even if they do conflict with my own. There is a way to express yourself without "going off." I said nothing personally in support of bowfishing (as I don't agree with it!). I was just reporting what I have been told, and what I have seen. Correct me if you feel my reply is wrong, but no need to jump on someone's back and make disparaging remarks.

JB