Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'd Rather Be FISHING
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit the Rocky today with a buddy of mine...a lot of the fish are starting to move back into spawning areas now that the weather is slightly warmer. I caught one little female in slack water on jig and maggot, only about 17 or 18 inches. Later on, i tied on a spoon and targeted some males on the spawning bed. I caught 3 males, measured at 25, 25.5, and 27.5. For all you fellow steelheaders that dont like to target spawning fish, do not worry, I do NOT snag and all fish were released.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What kind of structure are the fish looking for spawning beds.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I see the concern about snagging fish with spinners... last week we used shiners and drifted them along the shallow gravel areas and picked up fish. We also used spawn sacs. It was quite a bit easier to see the fish taking the larger shiners as they would move towards them quickly and pick them up. We were also using small white jig and maggots but we were lucking into those fish as we would lift up and they would be on.
Just a thought.
ying

·
Registered
456 Posts
Are there certain sections of the Rocky that have better beds. Is it better to fish the upper sections above the 3rd ford??

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I would imagine someone on here will be better at giving specific locations, but I notice the fish in fast current with a gravel bottom. I think the further you go up the more concentrated they are. There were spots not very far upstream that were holding 20-30 fish.
ying

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks guys, been hitting the Rock the past couple of weeks even fished last Saturday during the snow storm.

·
Registered
304 Posts
1st have a pair of polarized sun glass ,the brown lens & a baseball cap on.They seem to try to spawn in any riffles with fast water. Puritas rd bridge that ford south of hogsback rd east branch rocky river by maple sugar area north of lagoon.spinners little cleos twister tails fly fishing all work . Lots more spots in between these. Happy hunting:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts