Rocky 1/18/09 Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by jojopro, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Outing Date: Sunday 1/18/09 2:30-5:30pm
    Body of Water: Rocky River
    Weather: Mostly cloudy, occasional sun
    Air Temp: Low to mid 20's
    Water Temp: Low 30's
    Water Level: Normal to slightly low. Little open water. Surprisingly slush was not too bad.
    Water Flow: Good. Faster than would be expected for the low water levels.
    Water Color/Clarity: Clear/Green. 3'-4' visibility in some areas.
    Successful Patterns: Yellow Spawn Sack. Egg Eating Bunker Jig (Chart. striped shiner).
    Fishing Quality: Extremely Challenging

Report: Not a ton of open water, but there were some stretches of the river with long continuosly open runs. Where open water existed, there was always lots of shelf ice too thick to be busted out, extending quite far out. The water was running very clear yet still maintained some green stain in deeper areas. I only managed two brief hook ups, and both came while trotting my float slowly along the edge of the shelf ice.

[​IMG]
    Pic from last week. The above stretch of river was almost entirely open on 1/13/09...just 5 days later the same stretch was completley iced over, as was most of the river. I imagine that by the end of this week nearly all of the remaing open water will have locked up. :(

[​IMG]
    The Egg Eating Bunker Jig I hooked up with yesterday.

[​IMG]
    A couple of pics of one of the nicer looking bucks caught on the Rock 1/13/09.
    [​IMG]

John

2. Thanks for the report. Nice looking buck from last week!

Looks like the temps are not in our favor for the coming week either?

3. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

those pics look great.

Cool jig- do you tip it with mags or anything?

4. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

That jig is sick. Do you paint your own jigheads?

5. I usually tip my jigs with Gulp Waxies...but with the water running so clear I didn't bother to tip it with anything on Sunday.

John

6. Thanks! Glad you like it, since that is what i've tied up for the swap. I bought the jig heads pre-painted from Erie Outfitters.

John

7. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

I am glad you found some open water jojopro! i am going crazy here. just tying flies in the meantime. nice jig by the way

8. I'm glad to see someone is getting out and catching a few. Nice steelie jojo. I also like the looks of that jig/fly.

9. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Jojo, you running a Raven CP?

10. That's right. Raven Vectra SST 2.

John