Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing off of the bridge by the pump house on Ravenna rd. tonight and around 10pm a sheriff stopped and told me that I was trespassing. He was not an ass about it at all. Very nice guy in fact. I tried to reason with him and asked him how the city of crackron owns the bridge but he was not having it at all. He said he will be letting everyone know he sees there. Just thought I'd let everyone know.:( I would like to get the input of a warden on this topic if at all possible, I've always heard that was a legal spot to fish. I'd really like to avoid those fancy shiny bracelets.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You're putting a line into an crAkron watershed. Regardless of who's property you're on Akron controls use of the water and Portage county sheriffs can enforce the rule. But it would be nice to know if Akron is paying them to do so or if they have a jurisdiction agreement. Bottom line is your standing on Portage county land which the cops can enforce and you're putting a line in Akron property which apparently is no legal. Can't see much of a fight being win here though I don't agree with it.

·
The Lucky One
2,129 Posts
I've been fishing Lake Rockwell for 40+ years and have lived there the past 25. I have never heard of anyone being told they could not fish there. I'll make some calls today and get some answers for you...............Mark

·
Registered
80 Posts
if i had a question on this matter i would call odnr district three portage lakes thay my be abele to anser your questions on the matter,just sayin

·
The Lucky One
2,129 Posts
The ODNR has nothing to do with state or local roadways. I spoke with someone from Akron this morning regarding fishermen and the pumphouse bridge but couldn't get a direct answer. I'll call the sheriff's office tomorrow to see if they can help with any kind of information about this...........Mark

·
EdSak
49 Posts
The city of Akron owns the actual property of lake Rockwell, but in fact lake Rockwell is not within the actual city limits of Akron. Therefore the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction of the city or county the property is in....they have the right to enforce the laws of that physical jurisdiction.

Sent from my HTC One X using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
City of Akron Watershed Rangers do not have enforcement jurisdiction on roads or bridges., Legal measures as such fall within the local, authorized law enforcement agencies including Portage County Sheriff, Brady Lake Sheriff, State Highway Patrol, Streetsboro Police, Kent Police, etc.

Contact Water Supply Mgmt, Akron Law Dept., Portage County Sheriff and ODNR for further clarification.

·
EdSak
49 Posts
I've been an Akron Police Officer for 11 years and not once have we ever went to Lake Rockwell for any enforcement in that time. It's considered private property with public access with stipulations.

·
EdSak
49 Posts
Lake Rockwell Reservoir is the primary source of Akron’s drinking water supply. Because of its importance, this area is highly restricted. There is absolutely no trespassing, no fishing or recreation permitted at Lake Rockwell at any time. Recreation is outside the fenced in area for hiking/walking/running.

·
The Economical Bass Fisherman
365 Posts
Lake Rockwell Reservoir is the primary source of Akron’s drinking water supply. Because of its importance, this area is highly restricted. There is absolutely no trespassing, no fishing or recreation permitted at Lake Rockwell at any time. Recreation is outside the fenced in area for hiking/walking/running.

According to the guy He was fishing the Pump House off Ravenna Road which actually the Cuyahoga River. Also if you look at it at the Google Earth picture there is a fence. I would hope he was outside of the fence. :D

·
EdSak
49 Posts
I think there should be a lottery once a year to fish regulated reservoirs, such as Rockwell, barberton reservoir, lake Dorothy and so forth...I don't see how just a few responsible anglers would do any harm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help everyone I really do appreciate it. I was fishing on the outside of the fence in the cuyahoga off of the bridge. I was planning on putting my kayak in there later this week before all of this happened. John do you know if that would be okay?
( I do not trespass on private property and am a respectful fishermen, I pick up all of the other d-bags trash every time I go fishing regardless of location.) I wouldn't be in the actual lake and I would be fishing down stream on my way down the river. Last time I was there I was told by another fishermen that I could also fish under the train tracks because it was the railroads property but I didn't want to chance it. .... Thank you for your help everyone!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Always a bunch of bs about this place. I say just let big brother have their way and just not fish Rockwell. All the members of this site should put their money together and buy a nice piece of land with a lake or pond on it and stock it. Put a 15ft fence up around the entire property, and have a gate with security cards to get owners/members in. Catch and release only....

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
But, while protecting their drinking water from anyone getting close, they pollute the same river downstream of their city from the poop plant and numerous CSOs throughout the city. That's what makes the access restrictions of Rockwell more frustrating than other cities water supplies.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Steel, I don't follow your argument. Are you saying there is something wrong with protecting the drinking water of hundreds of thousands of people?

I agree that CSO's are a problem, but they are, being addressed...even of it is slow progress. (No one wants to pony up the big $, just kick the can to their kids and let them spend 2x big $)

The WWTP discharge argument is weak....just about every city or village the river passes through discharges its treated wastewater into the river....no different than any other river in a reasonably populated area including those stocked with steelhead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would like to know what the difference between Ladue and Rockwell is? They are both Akron water. Ladue has plenty of fishing and hunting but Rockwell is locked up tighter than area 51. What gives? Isn't Eastbranch also Akron water?

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,110 Posts
I believe what Steel Cranium was saying is that Crackron makes very sure the Cuyahoga is nice and clean entering Crackron, but they could give hoot less about the water that leaves their city heading downstream for the rest of us.
Most cities do have treatment plants that were built after WWII, unlike Akron.
Years back, the EPA busted them for not letting any water out of Rockwell
during a dry summer. They literally shut off the Cuyahoga for their own use - the only thing feeding the Hoga was their sewer discharge. That is not
like any other city.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts