close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rock Bass ID

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by oufisherman, Jun 10, 2005.

1. I had a question about the actual look of the rockbass. I caught a bunch of them yesterday and thought that they were rock bass. But when I looked up Fish ID on ODNR page, the picture for a green sunfish looked very similar. I was just wondering what the rock bass looks like in this are?
    The fish I was catching was bluegill shaped with black ear flap. They had orange along the bottom and iridescent-blue lines from head back to belly. They were thicker than regular bluegill, which I caught also. I was hoping that some knowledge person could straighten me out!

2. Rockbass have red eyes.
    Sounds like you did catch green sunfish.

3. Either way you are catching more fish than I am!;)

4. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

[​IMG]
    Here is a rockbass that I caught a few weeks ago. I'd say that the way to distinguish them is their pretty red eyes :) Unfortunately, you cant really see them in this picture.

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

pretty red eyes Reel Lady??? oh good lord help us! :p We are fishermen/women, nothing is pretty about a fish.......just nice! :D

6. That looks like a pretty good size one you got there lady.

7. Ive never heard of a rockbass, however that looks just like a redeye! ;)

8. OU,

It sounds like a Warmouth to me.

Wes

9. Reel Lady

Okay.. so maybe "pretty" doesn't do their eyes justice.. GORGEOUS is more like it :D

10. Reel Lady

That little fish was SO FAT, I can't believe that it could even swim without dragging it's belly at the same time! lol

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Attached Files:

12. Thanks for all the assistence everybody! After looking over the replies and the rock bass pic provided by Reel Lady (Thank you), I'm going to go with my first decision. Aside from the few bluegill, what I was catching was green sunfish. The markings and coloring are too similar and different from rock bass.

13. Growing up fishing creeks for catfish bait, I always called green sunfish "rockbass". That's just what I was told they were and always thought that's what a rockbass was until a caught a true rockbass. Just one of those things where different people have a "regional" and sometimes incorrect name for fish species.

14. catking

catking Banned

peckerhead cwcarper....Just what do you mean by " that's what I was told they were" as I recall , I was the one catchin bait with you........ ;) ... so what are you saying........... :p

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Let me interpt:

Dad (Catking) told Son (CWCarper) the wrong thing! Poor guy, no wonder CW got into Carpin, you told him they were Catfish!

16. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Rockbass also have a large mouth that you can usually thumb like a largemouth. Much larger than a blugill or redear,....

17. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

here is a chunky rock bass that went over 1lb.
    RB are golden in color and have larger eyes...no green.

[​IMG]

18. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

That's a fine specimin of a rock bass.
    Stripers are know as rockfish some in areas too (Central KY).
    Don't cornfuse CW...He's been chasing Buglemouthed bass & now you're calling them carps ?!