Robby Gordon

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by iam20fan, Feb 24, 2008.

1. go to jimbeam.com and sign the petition to help robby. if nascar's penalty of 100,000$ and 100 owner points stand, he will be forced to shut his sprint cup team down. he is the owner and driver. he said in an interview if this happens he will start his own IRL team and go back to open wheel racing.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

He was caught with illegal parts on his car. He violated the NASCAR rules and was fined for it. He is appealing the fine though. I agree it was steep but NASCAR has said they will not be nice if rules are broke period. Not really much different than what happened last season to Waltrup.

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Ummmmm....No, not even close.

Long story short... Robby accepts an offer to switch to DODGE at the 11th hour before Daytona. All of Robby's cars were already skinned for FORD and had to be rebuilt in 4 days. DODGE also switching models from the Avenger to the CHARGER. The CHARGER nose has not been approved yet.

DODGE delivered and Robby's team installed noses that were marked with the SAME part number listed in the NASCAR rulebook. Unfortunetly they were CHARGER noses. This is a clerical error that has been acknowledged by DODGE who has accepted responsibility. I can document this, but will pass for the sake of the post.

Waltrup's deal involved a fuel additive... unequivocally against the rules and an intent to gain some type of advantage. Apples and Oranges.

Just another example of no-tolerance-mandated-penalties run a muck. No different than the girl expelled from school for violating the drug policy... she lent a friend a Midol. Or the other kid who was expelled for violating a weapons policy... a butterknife inside the lunch bag to spread his peanut butter. Thinking behind all of these lame-brained ideas is the same... political correctness.

4. I do like Robby, but the same rule do apply to him. If you ask me, he put himself in this situation by signing with Dodge so close to the 500. IMO, he should have held off on this decision until next season.

5. fishstix, i agree. i heard dodge gave he the wrong nose. well it's 12am i have been watching nascar since 330pm. switching back and fourth from the bassmasters and nascar. the word is 100am start time and will run the whole thing. that rain at the reminds me off the 2006 prelude to a dream race at eldora speedway. that night i sat through a monsoon for 6 hours with no coat or anything before tony called off the race. thank god for the high life that night. i know what those fans in cali are going through.

"my drinking team has a racing problem"

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

KaBee, what I meant was he violated a rule and has to face the penalty. It doesn't matter if he knew it or not, being an owner/driver it is his responsibility to check these things out before he has it inspected. If it was a charger nose and it wasn't approved, then why did he put it on?
    As I said I agree the penalty was way to harsh, but he was wrong in allowing the part to be installed. You can bet he or no one else will allow that to happen this year.
    There has to be something created that allows each case to be addressed differently. A set fine for any violating isn't right. Should Robby be fined? In my opinion he should. At what level? Can't answer that one. BUT differently not at the level he had put on him by NASCAR.

7. KaGee

In most likelyhood, if the DAKAR debacle does not happen, I believe Robby is still with FORD. That said, it appears this move was for the better.

8. HEEEYYYY!!! I didn't know Robby had relatives on here!

9. Well, if it looks lie a duck and walks lie a duck it must be a duck. I guess a rule is a rule and I definately think the fine is way to harsh, and I agree it is different than Waltrip last year (aviation fuel in the system was just flat out cheating). However Robby Gordon has been racing a Long time and I dont know his financials but I find it hard to believe that 100k is going to break him. Like I said it is steep, but if 100k is going to break him maybe he would be better off going back to open wheel. He did not have to go to dodge and put himself in a position to get a car built in 4 days either.

I dont think he was trying to break the rules but it sounds like he brought it on himself. JMO

10. KaGee

Hey Joonyer Nation, how does it feel to finish behind Robby Gordon... 2 weeks in a row! :D

11. I have been anxious to see Jr. perform this year. Honestly, I don't believe Jr. is as good as everyone thinks he is. Driving a Hendrick car will be the ultimate test. If he has a great season, then I will see that he is a great driver, but he has to prove it to me first.

12. Robby Gordon spends more time on the wrecker hook than in the top 20. I like him, you gotta love his desire, but given his track record thus far, he's much better suited to the open wheel cars...fatter tires = more grip = less wrecks = less P$#@ed off fellow drivers.

He's had opportunities for quality cup teams, but he wrecks every chance away sooner or later.

13. I cant find myself helping out anyone with that last name!!

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

:p

robby also spends more time crying about girls having a weight advantage than he does in the top 20:D

15. KaGee

Don't know if you knew it or not, but the IRL has updated their rules this year to address what Robby said. Danica's car will now weigh the same as the boy's cars. :p

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.i knew there was some reason i preferred REAL drivers over those open wheel sissies:p :D
    let 'em try that with nascar:D

17. It was my understanding that the nose of the car had even fit NASCAR'S own template.The infracton was discovered at the inital inspection before the car ever touched the track. Nascar's gripe boiled down to a "stamped serial number" that hadnt been offically approved by NASCAR... Oh.... I think they were wine---ing about the placement of some of the decals on the nose as well.
    Just my 2$-- Nascar's gonna ruin a good thing if their not careful

18. KaGee

Try this... the part number was exact as it was listed in NASCAR's Rule book.

[​IMG]

There was a dash at the end of the number on the part.

19. ScottB

ScottB SW Ohio

I'm no Robby Gordon fan, but this time his has a legit complaint. He was given the wrong part, it was caught before the race, and to top it off, there is barely a noticeable difference in the parts.

Eyeguy, Nascar has already started down the path of ruining a good thing. Letting races get taken away from older tracks like Darlington and Rockingham and giving 2 races to California who can't even sell out 1 race. Greed, greed, greed.