Roasted Pork Loin

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Zfish, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Ingredients
    • 1 tablespoon EVOO
    • 1 boneless center-cut pork loin roast (about 2 pounds)
    • Seasoning Salt and freshly ground pepper
    • Garlic Powder
    • Honey
    • Italian Seasoning
    • 2 tablespoons Spicy Brown Mustard
    • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
    Put the EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) into a skillet on medium high heat with a little bit of the cider vinegar (Aside from what you will put into the glass pan)
    Season the pork with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian Seasoning. Sear on all sides until golden brown.
    Cover the pork with honey and then spicy brown mustard. Put the cider in the bottom of a glass pan and brush over the pork with the other ingredients. Put the glass pan into the oven and put a thermometer in it and set the alarm at 145 degrees, about 35 to 45 min minutes make sure you turn after about 15 to 20 min.

This one is darn good. My wife absolutely loves this one.

2. This sounds very good but the thing that caught me was the thermometer temperature. I guess I always thought pork had to be a higher temp than that to be safe. I am not an expert on it but I have read like 160° for pork. Does anyone have any comments on this?

3. Brian,
    in the "old days" back when pork was pork and had a lot of fat in it, then yes, most folks cooked it till it was "done" but usually dryer then toast. With the "new" pork these days, it's not really necessary especially for cuts like loin or tenderloin.
    It is true that the "official" internal temp is 160, but a little investigation will tell you that it is safe to eat pork at 145 (medium rare).
    Here is one article you can read- http://fitfare.net/2008/06/09/how-to-cook-pork-whats-the-right-temperature/

I always pull my tenderloins or loins off at around 142-145 and tent them and allow them to rise a few more degrees. That cut will be much more tender, juicier and flavorful.

Obviously , when slow cooking or smoking a pork shoulder or similar cut, you may want to take it as high as 200 internal in order to break down all the collagen and connective tissue and to allow it to "pull" apart.

hope this helps.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

boatnut's on the money.cooked to 145,the internal temp will rise 5-10 degrees after resting.other cuts as he mentioned,take higher temps to get it tender.
    i hated my mother's pork chops cause she was "old school".but now that i do my own cooking,i can have it "my way":)

5. Thanks for setting me straight guys. I guess I have always listened to the old school folks for all of my information.;)

6. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Modern practices in raising hogs has pretty much eliminated the threat of trichinosis. This was the reason folks cooked pork so far beyond done. Trichinosis is killed off at about 140 degrees even if there were still a big risk.

7. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Well by the time the Loin sits for 10 to 15 minutes as explained by others it usually will reach 155 to 160 and be really ready to go. :)

Sorry It originally caught me off guard to. I took a recipe and changed it up a bit to make it better. The Cooking instructions (Temp Wise) were not mine.

8. Gotta love the pork loins. I picked up a whole loin at Sam's Club last week that was about the size of a UPS truck for $12.

I cut it into five very nice sized 'roasts'