close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RoadRunner Question:

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by BottomBouncer, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I recently moved in with someone who has roadrunner......is it possible to hook my 'puter up to it too? I called RadioShack and the guy mentioned something about a router......I don't know what all that means :( :p

2. Lynksys has a cable modem router that will allow multiple pc's behind a single internet connection.

best buy is a good store to buy from

3. Can both computers be online at the same time?

4. You need a network hub ;)

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

All you need is an ethernet router (better choice, provides additional firewall protection), should be cheap enough. Using this you can usually hook 4 machines up to a single connection, all can be online at the same time.

6. And......I do what with that? Plug it into the cable modem? I'm assuming bestbuy has these too? I just don't want to go in there and have some egg head take advantage of my ignorance......"Oh you'll need five of the gold plated super lines, one XG 5600 super box.....blah blah......" know what I mean?

LOL

7. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

A hub won't do it (hubs don't route) unless the dude pays RR extra for a second IP.

Just a regular cable modem router will do, and they are easy to hook up. Just make sure your PC has a network card. Other than that, all you'll need is CAT5 cables.

8. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

bottom bouncer, just go and get yourself a 4-port router, cheapest they have. YOu plug the modem into the router, and your computers into the router. Your router will take your primary IP assigned to the cable modem and give you 4 assigned IP addresses for your internal 'network'. 802.11b should be fine for you, and the cheapest, as they support up to 10mb, and most broadband connections aren't nearly that fast.

9. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I have Bought a Lynksy Cable Modem with 4 Ports on it & All the CAT 5 wire Ill need. That will allow us to all share the internet Connection. You will have to configure your Computers to share a Folder with the Internet Connection in it. Not unless your going to be the Admin. on your network, Then you can access every Computer on the Network.

Theres No way Im letting the wife & son in My Computer Files, So Im going to firewall Mine & leave thiers Open. LOL :D

Cat Mazter

10. Not quite true. I ran it through my 1st pc then to a *workgroup hub* then to 2 other pc's they all work at the same time. You just have to have the correct networking capabilities.

11. Yes. Go get the router and you will be fine. I have two computers (one mine and one my girls), and we are both connected to a router and surf at the same time and everything. Just keep in mind, that if one of you are playing pc games, the other can't download while the other plays. It will cause alot of lag for the one gaming.

12. Computers in the same room? If not, I would get a wireless router. I have a Belkin from CompUSA I got for 40 or 50 bucks after getting my PS2 and computer online with a wired one. Well, my PS2 is upstairs on the far end from the stairs and my computer is pretty much right below it. Couldn't stand those wires and the fact that I didn't think about it beforehand. :eek: Took it and the cables back, got the wireless and a network adapter for the PS2 and got after it on NBA Live 2005, Madden 04, etc. while my chick surfed the net below me with no wires in view. :D

13. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Did you read what he wrote? He's correct. If you buy a HUB, you will have to get a second IP from your ISP, or only one computer will be able to get out at the same time. If you buy a ROUTER, you are golden.

14. Shakedown is right. There either has to be a second ip address given by RR or a router has to be in place to take the RR IP address and "ROUTE" traffic inside the house to each computer.

Head to Best Buy and get a Linksys BEFSR41. It connects to your cable modem. Hint: power cycle the cable modem. Some modems will only allow a single device to connect to the. That would be the first computer. Anything you try to connect after that will not be allowed to get to the internet. Power cycling the modem will clear that out. Then connect each PC to the Linksys router. Linksys set up instructions are very easy to set up. The router can be configured through you web browser.

I am sure there are other brands that are ok. But I know that Linksys is very reliable. I have installed a ton of them. Plus they are now owned by Cisco which makes most of the large scale routers and switches that comprise the majority of the internet backbone.

If you want, PM me and maybe we can talk on the phone. If your in the Columbus Area I may even be able to come over and help you get it set up.

15. to my earlier thread. I meant to put that I had run mine through a workgroup hub is all and it worked. I did have to make sure Comp#1 had internet connection sharing turned on is all.
    It is probably the easiest just to go with the router like everyone has said. I don't always go the easy way with things I do.

16. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I recently purchased a new LYNKSUS Router . I love the wireless conectors I purchased , sure made things look alot nicer around the shop . The best thing is that i was able to move a pc to the other end of the building and not have to run all that wire ! :D Also , when I purchased it , it had a $20 rebate , cant beat that .

17. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Mkatts, I'm in Hilliard as well. I'm gonna head up to BestBuy here in a little while to check things out. If I get in a bind, I might drop you a PM.

Thanks again!

18. Okay, here is what I bought.....

Linksys Wireless - G 2.4GHz 802.11g with wireless adapter.

*First of all I had to move in with a family member with two young kids*

Their 'puter is upstairs hooked up to the Roadrunner. So, I need to install the router software....and come to find out that the kids broke the cd drive so it does not open. Luckily my family member works at OSU and the 'puter can be taken in and replaced.

Talk about aggravation :mad: Hard to take an online class when you can't get online :mad:

Glad I have not discontinued my AOL yet...

19. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

Watch out for that 426hemi! They thing ain't no sloutch!