close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rivers of Ohio Forum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Action, Dec 10, 2004.

1. I know we have an Ohio River forum but how about a Rivers ( other than the Ohio) forum ? Just making a suggestion on behalf of us river rats. Or maybe a River and Creeks of Ohio forum.

2. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

This would unlikely work IMO.

I know I could give up obvious holes that are fished by all, and prolly overfished. But secluded spots on rivers and especially creeks with good holes are precious, and I would never post these spots on a forum. Might PM someone I know and trust, but not publicly.

My $.02

3. No different than not giving up your best Piedmont or Salt Fork holes.
    Just a place for river guys to post results and when I'm going to a river I don't know, I'm OK with info on heavily fished spots. Its better than no info and those spots are usually heavily fished for a reason. If we got all the river and creek fishermen in one forum we'd be more likely to share tid bits of info and exchange fishing or float trips.

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'll suggest that you try to post info about a certain River in the section of the state your looking for. Such as S/E or N/E at this time. I don't see a seperate river section as something we need at this time. I'll take the suggestion to our staff though. Ohio River is a BIG area and we felt that it deserves a seperate area. Again we'll keep it in mind. Keep the suggestion coming guys, we do look at all of them. Just look around the site and you'll see what your suggestions have done to expand the site.

5. Dale is right on the money here. You can start river fishing topics in whichever section of the state forum the river/creek is in. No need for a super-specific section based on water type.

6. Have to agree with DaleM and Big Daddy here. The point of having regional forums is so your don't have to search through a million posts to find information on your favorite lake or moving waterway. As Dale stated, the Ohio river is so large that it does warrant it's own forum.

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I like the idea about a river/creek section too, but I also see the other side of it too. The reason for this is that I don't know all areas well. I would consider Atwood to be in the southeast section, but I know it is posted in the northeast section. Now from experience, I would not be aloud to post in several areas to try for the best feedback. Thus if I am talking about a creek or river that runs through 2 or more of these sections, I would only hit one small group of people most times instead of many people who all fish the same waterways......If any of that makes sense. I know I try to check through each forum to see whatever, but I know some people prob only check where they fish the most.

Ok now the real reason you guys don't want to add another forum is that you mods are too lazy to have to check through another bunch of threads! :eek: :D :p Just kidding you guys! I love what you guys do and have done for us. This place is awesome. Just sucks that now with cold weather there won't be as many fishing posts. Thanks to all of you. Please don't boot me cuz what I said! ;) haha

8. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

Just have a "Riverwalker Chat Night" every week or so. If I nned info on a stretch of river, I PM him. And he has always given me great starting points.

9. I understand the desire for a rivers/creeks form. By there vary nature, many rivers and creeks flow beyond one single geographical region. However, I have never had any problems obtaining information in the current form configuration.

Now, what is really needed in my opinion is a kayak fishing form. Yep, I need to find people to complete shuttles!

10. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

PHP:
    Nowwhat is really needed in my opinion is a kayak fishing form
    I second that motion! Yak fishing is a totally different animal. There is an entirely different set of rules and things you have to do to be a succesful yakfisherman.

Winner

11. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Fewer forums the better... I already have a terrible time when catching something nice figuring out whether to put something in the species page or the geographical location forum.... Imagine if we had the rivers also as a forum and a kayak forum.... so i'm out fishing in the sandusky river from a kayak and catch a northern pike... would it go in NW Ohio Forum? rivers and creeks forum? species specific forum? Kayak forum? you see where im going with this....

Kayak fishing is a seperate animal and i do think a way of interacting with kayak enthusiasts would be cool... i suppose i could just do those posts that say "please see NW Ohio forum to see what i caught from kayak this weekend" etc etc... or in the NW Ohio Forum, "please go check out kayak fishing forum to see what i caught in a NW Ohio area".......

Just my random thoughts...

Rooster give me a holler if you want to kayak around PC, Ohio...

12. rockbass

rockbass Banned

That gave me a chuckle! Too funny! :p

I agree fewer forums are easier. Like you say I have a hard enough time whether to post in state section or species section. I think it is prob better :D left the way it is. It is a good setup! :)

13. i kind of like it the way it is. I dont have to go through several forums to find out about the area i want. we would spend more time giving directions to each little creek than telling about the trip. Just my cents worth, not worth much am i.
    I have been listing to my wife to much.

14. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

ok guys...I like the forum set up myself. I would even say humbly that there are too many forums before I would say there are too few.

...now my case for a paddlesport forum...This paddlesport forum could deal with issues pertaining to boat selection, customization of boats, and other issues dealing with fishing from a yak, canoe, bb, toon, raft, and so on. It is a truly different animal than "boats and motors". People wouldn't post fishing reports in the forum, just issues with paddlesports in general.
    Just my .02

Winner

15. I think river and creek guys are a scattered bunch and a forum could pull them together. How come Riverwalker hasn't chimed in ? Well it isn't to be but in the future anything can happen.

16. catking

catking Banned

Anything can happen in the future Action ;) Hey, the OGF Team does listen to all you guys and gals, and many ideas have become a reality . This idea will be put into the future idea files :D .Thanks for all the input fellows..... CATKING

17. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have to agree with action. a river forum will create more interest in river fishing. i only got interested in river fishing by hooking up with action on the tusc. a river forum might make things easier to organize outings like canoe trips or just get togethers.

18. I don't know what side of the fence I'm on with this one.I do like the way things are now,and I can understand the concerns of some that another forum would clutter things up.However,it would be nice to see a forum set aside for the anglers that love creek fishing.There's very few(if any) smaller streams that would cause problems geographically speaking.For instance,if you were fishing a section of the Grand River,and you wanted to post your results,why would it be hard to look under NE Ohio streams? I can see where it would be difficult to add more forums though,so I won't go on with it.For the people that really get into stream fishing,you can always drop me a PM if you ever need info on any streams.I fish creeks and rivers all over Ohio year round,and would be glad to offer any info if I can.

19. Whats your favorite Jan - Feb creeks or rivers ? Is there any that you do well at in my area ? There's alot of guys who quit fishing this time of year. I fish this time of year because I have a little time off in the winter compared to nearly no off time in the summer.

20. Yes there is,I like fishing below the little dam in U-ville,hit and miss for saugeye's,but on milder days,it's a great spot to pick up a nice smallie or two.I like several areas on the Tuscarawas,mainly between Newcomerstown and West Lafayette.You never know what you may pull out of there,smallies,pike or saugeye's.I used to fish a spot on Conotton Creek years ago that was pretty good in the winter too.A little out of your area,but have you ever heard of Cranenest Creek? It's south of Woodsfield in Monroe County,that's a real good bass stream in winter.A couple more a bit east of you are also worth mentioning,Cross Creek,Captina Creek and Short Creek are all good smallie streams.A lot of guys don't think creek fishing for smallies in the winter is an option,if they only knew! Don't waste time on the riffles,concentrate on the deeper pools(especially ones with brush).Smaller jigs with plastics(I like mimic minnows),fished super slow right on bottom against the cover will produce bass all winter,but mostly milder days are best.Now I'm wanting to go!