close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Riverine Smallmouth Seasonal Migration

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by RiparianRanger, Oct 6, 2016.

1. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger Bronze > Gold

Today's wade revealed water temps were ~63 degrees. Still finding them in the usual smallmouth spots. Not yet schooling or moving to deeper water. It's been unseasonably warm this Autumn and the seven day forecast is starting to show a few nights with lows in the 40s. Will keep an eye on stream temps for indications they're moving to wintering holes.

https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/smallmouth-season-17.311575/page-3

2. RiparianRanger

Got out for about an hour yesterday morning. The thermometer revealed temps in this particular flow were right at 60 degrees. It's possible mid-day temps are higher considering the bluebird skies and low 70 air temps we've been experiencing but that is forecast to change. Next week's cold, rainy weather is expected to push water temps down into the 50s.

Only managed one aggressive little guy in a push water section on a white spinner with a grub trailer

Attached Files:

3. RiparianRanger

Got out today and hit a smaller flow. Water temps were right around 50 just a few days ago and considering air temps have barely exceeded 50 since, I have little reason to suspect subsurface temperatures have changed much, despite the sunny skies. The last couple of seasons November has proved one of the more challenging months. I chalk this up to it being a transition period and migratory fish difficult to pinpoint. Some literature I have read suggests fish can be found near wintering holes when water temperatures are consistently around 50 degrees or so during what is described as Mid/Late Fall. I'm hoping more seasoned anglers might confirm or deny the veracity of this.

I got out for about an hour today and quickly located a few small bass (details in link below). One was found in a deeper section of the stream (5') with good cover, though no obvious current break that I could see or discern. I'm trying to decipher if this section can reliably be considered a wintering hole -- it is relatively deep -- or if I just got lucky and hooked two random fish in close proximity on a sunny day.

https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/smallmouth-season-17.311575/page-4