Ohio Game Fishing banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Jiggin Freak
2,571 Posts
I'm still not seeing anything but smallies around Tiffin. Anyone here try any place South ot Fremont at all? With the water as clear as it is, I would think I would at least see some passing through and I have not seen a one yet.

This was from Tuesday lunch break...

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
I tried for couple hours on Sunday at county road 38 bridge area and didn’t get a bite or see any rollers or any sign of them either. They say there supposed to make it to pioneer mill dam area to spawn now but no ones fishing towards tiffin area that I’ve seen and no signs of them when I’ve tried a couple times. Seems like the bite and fish for that matter are still around Fremont and not really working towards tiffin. Nice colors on that smallie!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've tried fishing south of fremont by the park on 53 a few times this year and a few times last year. I haven't even run into one in there yet. While I'm sure that a few may make it that far I doubt they do in larger numbers. If you follow the river, especially this year, it gets into some pretty low areas that would seem to make it difficult for them to pass. I'm also not a fantastic river walleye guy so take all that with a grain of salt. It hasn't been a good year at all for the sandusky river this year either.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is an article posted on The Advertiser Tribune website today stating that no walleye have been found while electrofishing South of the old dam since removal.
Pretty much the same for white bass.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've tried fishing south of fremont by the park on 53 a few times this year and a few times last year. I haven't even run into one in there yet. While I'm sure that a few may make it that far I doubt they do in larger numbers. If you follow the river, especially this year, it gets into some pretty low areas that would seem to make it difficult for them to pass. I'm also not a fantastic river walleye guy so take all that with a grain of salt. It hasn't been a good year at all for the sandusky river this year either.
bite depend on fish,not on fisherman experience.
one day i got 50 eyes till noon,50% were snaged.
next day, all day i got one snaged,hed to relese her.
that mean i forget how to fish from yesterday ?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Maumee has been pretty good. Went up a couple weeks ago and limited in just over an hour. Decent grade of fish also, 18-22”. Went Friday afternoon and got 3 then went back up Saturday morning and got 4. The bite this weekend was pretty tough. Couple nights down around 20 degrees cooled the river quite a bit. But they are definitely in there thick. Fished Buttonwood all 3 times. Gotta be there very early before first cast or you’ll be struggling to find a place to park.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone who is boating the Maumee run should have no problems getting on fish. Waders who don't mind combat fishing will also do well in the common spots....and lose a ton of gear :)

My out of the way spot has a few fish, but not thick by any means yet. I managed one on Sat and zero on Sunday. Both trips about 3 hrs.

BTW - If any boaters need a first mate let me know 😊
Is your spot upriver to Waterville or further by any chance?

I live on the river in Waterville so I basically only fish my own property but I haven't had any luck or heard of anybody getting fish up here yet this year. I've probably put 7-8 hrs on the river over the last couple weeks and haven't hooked into anything yet, not even suckers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is your spot upriver to Waterville or further by any chance?

I live on the river in Waterville so I basically only fish my own property but I haven't had any luck or heard of anybody getting fish up here yet this year. I've probably put 7-8 hrs on the river over the last couple weeks and haven't hooked into anything yet, not even suckers.
No...not quite that out of the way :) I have tried Waterville area in the past with zero success, but it has been a few years.

The spot I like isn't shoulder to shoulder, but there are a fair amount of people who fish it at different times. It has a lot less snags, but then again less fish as well, so it is a trade off. I don't mind putting in the time as long as I'm not getting snagged every third cast either by the river or other lines. I generally manage around 15 caught a year which gets me through until time for the big lake.

Last yr when Maumee closed their side of the river everyone was forced to the P-burg side so then they shut down. I was forced into combat fishing in a different spot. I gave it two attempts and after seeing multiple waders snagged, fish drug in behind the line etc, etc I finally lost my temper and had to use my dad voice. Not sure if he/they understood what I was saying, but due to my tone and the corresponding look in their eyes, I believe the message was received. At that point my season on the river was finished when it was no longer relaxing fun.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Maumee has been pretty good. Went up a couple weeks ago and limited in just over an hour. Decent grade of fish also, 18-22”. Went Friday afternoon and got 3 then went back up Saturday morning and got 4. The bite this weekend was pretty tough. Couple nights down around 20 degrees cooled the river quite a bit. But they are definitely in there thick. Fished Buttonwood all 3 times. Gotta be there very early before first cast or you’ll be struggling to find a place to park.
I was down there checking things out Sunday. It was slow for most people that I talked to. Many had zero and others had 2 or 3. Took the drone for a fly around. I'll try to get that video up sometime soon. I did check the waterville area and only seen a couple anglers there and Wier rapids was the same. Most everyone was down from Fort Meigs up to Jerome Road.

·
Registered
156 Posts
2.5 hrs last evening with no luck. Only saw a couple come in by anyone on either side of the river.

The bugs were unreal. At points I could barely see the tip of my pole.

Hoping for some good rain over the next couple of days and colder temps to keep the run going a while longer.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hit the Maumee Wednesday morning. Slowwww is the only way to describe it. Very frustrating. Should be 1 hr limits right now. Only 1 hit the stringer for myself and my buddy. I lost one unhooking, don’t even wanna talk about that. Caught a short, didn’t even need to measure and pulled another in by the tail. Fished Jerome rapids from first cast till around 11. Swung over to buttonwood and the reports were even worse. Didn’t even get out of vehicle. Not sure there’s as many fish in the river as Maumee tackle claims. Sure I know they want people to come and spend money but there’s basically only been 1 main high water period in the last month. No new fish have came up since then. Most I saw on a stringer when I left was 3. And I could watch probably 50 people and saw less than 50 walleye reeled in by the mouth. Very few snagged fish which usually means not very many fish. Heard one spot was on fire at bluegrass from a guy that was fishing across the river at buttonwood. But was a very small area he said. Saw a pic of a whitebass caught at Jerome today. Not good, not good at all!! And about 3 weeks early. Going up tomorrow morning, hopefully this rain will stir something up. Report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Little better today on the Maumee. Fished Buttonwood and managed 5. Saw quite a few limits today. Fished 3 1/2 hours after my fifth fish but just couldn’t pick up a limit. 3/8 oz weight was about ideal but I threw a 1/2 just to get out past some snags in front of me. Pink tail worked best early on then chartreuse glitter tail was best after the sun got up higher. Sure do enjoy meeting some of the guys out there and fishing with them. Was beside a guy from Indiana today and BS for several hours. Have never really witnessed the horror stories some people tell, but I’ve only been doing it for about 12 years. Almost always have a good time. Most people will listen if you tell them what they are doing wrong to make everyone else’s day miserable. Some won’t but it’s not very hard to get them to leave the river after just a little while ;)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hoping this rain brings another push of fish up for the weekend. Should atleast get the fish already in there start to bite and move around.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts