close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

River vs. Creek Fishing: Lure Size

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Pharley, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

(With primarily bass in mind)
    Assuming fish generally grow larger in a big river vs. a small feeder creek.....
    Would it be smarter to use a smaller bait/lure in a creek as opposed to a larger river (Whetstone Creek vs. Maumee River)? In a smaller feeder creek, say, would it be more productive to start small and get big, or start with a bigger lure and adjust smaller? Talking about spinner bait sizes, tube sizes, worm lengths, crank lenghts, etc.....

Anyways, I am going to hopefully be doing some small creek fishing this week, and will try what has worked for you in the past.
    Thanks.
    Rob

2. Unlike other topics,size doesn't matter! Whatever works for bass in larger streams will work for them in smaller streams and vice versa.Placement is much more important,early in the mornings,fish shallow areas such as riffles.In shallower water,a couple good choices are roostertails and floating rapalas.During late morning through late afternoon,you'll want to fish the deep shaded pools-slow! Good choices include 4" purple rubber worms,again roostertails cranked slowly just above bottom,I personally prefer a 3" purple venom super do jig slowly worked along bottom.Some guys like using cranks in the deeper pools,but you may have to constantly pick moss off of the hooks,a 1/4oz. Rat-L-Trap with the front hook on each treble bent in is a good choice if you like cranking.

3. Pharley, I would start big then go smaller if needed. the size of baits that I use for streams are 3"-2.75'' tubes with 1/16oz. jig heads, 3/16 oz. shallow shad raps. 3" grubs with 1/16oz. jigs, 1/16 oz. strike king bitsy bugs and 4" worms with 1/16oz. slider heads.

4. I don't know about eveyone else, but I have the mindset that you have. I tend to use smaller lures in smaller streams...to start out at least. I figure that there may be smaller fish that will only bite on smaller lures, but I also catch bigger Smallmouth Bass. I use rooster tails, small Rapalas, small Rebel craws and the smallest size Bomber Fat A's. It seems to work better for me using small lures, but i guess its just the confidence in the lure that you use that really matters.

5. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

For me, it really depends on the creek.... any creek i'v fished in, i'v never gone over 1/8 ounce, i mostly use 1/16th jigs, paddle bugs or inline spinners, i've also used Strikeking bitsy bugs with great success also.. i'v yet to try tubes in the creeks i fish in, i just feel that a 3 1/2 inch tube will result in too many missed bites, bearing in mind the creek is less than 3ft deep right now, but i have found a honey hole right behind a sunken log running driectly across the creek, i'v caught a variety of fish all in the same area..

I'd love to find a bigger creek and get the chance to throw some bigger lures in it, like bigger tubes and some other plastics

6. Hey Irishfisherman
    That creek wouldn't by any chance be Eagle Creek would it? I used to fish that little creek down Arlington way.It used to have a lot of smallies in it,I used to do real well on the Blanchard for smallies also.Like I said earlier,I don't really think the size of the creek or river makes any difference at all.Tie on a 1/6oz. white roostertail and you'll burn up the smallies whether you're fishing the Maumee River,or a creek you can jump across.Remember the most important thing here,you're primarily talking smallmouth's here,not largemouth's.A 1/16-1/8oz. jig is perfect,as is the 1/6oz. roostertail.You can downsize the roostertail to a 1/8,or even 1/16oz. but too many smaller bass get deep-hooked with the smaller sizes.One last thing to consider,a lot of small to midsize streams contain a lot of rock bass,crappies,sunfish and other species.You don't want to fish lures that won't catch everything-you'll miss out on too many opportunities.Trust me,go with the roostertails,1/8oz.jigs,and 4" worms,save the crankbaits for the pond.

7. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Having much experience fishing a small creek, I suggest that you use smaller lures. I started out fishing the particular creek I am talking about with larger sized lures, with little luck. I eventually downsized and began catching many fish, including some huge smallies in the 18 to 20 inch range. The largest smallie I ever caught from the creek was on a 1/8 rooster tail. Other lures I like in a small creek include Strike King Bitsy Tubes (take the yellow ones and let them sit in a bowl of dark red food coloring for a day to mimic a craw) rigged with an 1/8 jig head, beetle spins, and white buzzbaits at dusk.

9. fishingredhawk

I told you they are in there, just takes a little work. Congrats, and post a picture if you got one!

10. I like small Rapalas and Rebel wee craws...I know guys who kill them on tubes and white 3" twistertails...and if I may stray from the norm here Bass Minnows will work wonders at times.

11. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Hey Riverwalker... i actually havent fished Eagle Creek in Arlington yet, cant find any decent access to it, the creek i love to fish is in Mt. Blanchard, near the hog farm...

I'll have to give the R. Tails a go, i'v been using jigs full stop so far, something else might be fun to try for awhile... thanks RW

12. That sounds like the upper reaches of the Blanchard River,or that small feeder creek called Potato Run that runs into the Blanchard.I always used to fish Eagle Creek near the golf course north of Arlington.

13. I'll post the pic as soon as we work out some technical difficulties. :)

14. fishingredhawk

That's the exact spot where I catch all the big smallies.

15. I thought you would recognize it.

16. I've always had my best luck on big baits in small streams when fishing for bigger bass. Small hatchmatchers seem to catch more but usually smaller fish.

17. When I notice the SM getting after shad a 1/4oz white spinnerbait has been good for me as well.

18. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Pharley,
    My lure of choice is a Mepps spinner size 0 or 1. I fished a favorite creek Labor day and caught 3 smallies (9",11", 13") several crappies (9.5", 11", 11.5" were the biggies) several gills and rock bass. I also use this lure to catch creek chubs and shiners. My very favorite bait though is small (1" to1.5") crawdads. Smallmouth love them and you can catch them in the water you are fishing. Good luck!

19. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog 'Tusc River Rat

My favorite, all around lure ia a mepps xd 20 chrome spinner- either a plain or white tail- runs just a little deeper than a regular mepps, runs deeper, and casts farther- seems to produce when nothing else does for me- favorite all around bait is a 3 to 5 creek chub , or a "spring lizard" ( live salamander) hard to get, but strip pit bass , or anything that swims CANNOT resist a live spring lizard !!!! FYI, 'Rude Dog