Ohio Game Fishing banner

301 - 308 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Had an excellent day on the lower Scioto(inside the loop). Caught smallies busting up huge schools of baby .75" shad making their way down the river. I could see them coming would throw a black buzz bait in the middle which they proceeded to smack again and again! Also caught 'eyes on Joshy's as well. Ripped a trap for Muskie - trolled for them as well, with no luck. Had big marks on my sonar at a depth of 28' - not sure why they would be deep. Gar everywhere up top, in riffles, busting up shad as well. Water was warm (72 degrees) compared to the mouth of the 'Nut the previous day at 62 degrees and it was rather clear when the sun was up. Seems like later when the sun started to drop, it returned to the standard murk. I noticed this last year and it may be due to rough fish activity - kicking up sediment. I Will upload photos in a bit.

Question: What is the best color swimbait for that color water? Had no luck with cranks, even deep divers tolled at 3mph got nothing. Tried live shad on a slip and got gar. Shad hooked up through the lips on a roadrunner usually produces everything including wipers, but got no hits today (look at the water clarity in his section!
smallie1.jpg

Smallie2.jpg

Spot I presume - he was rather odd

eye.jpg
Caught a few of these, but they were clones.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Got a 19.5" on the lower Scioto yesterday. Spent 3 hours trolling for muskie - still no luck. No eyes either! This fish put up quite a fight, would not come up, and then ran straight down a riffle. I thought I was going to lose her for sure but somehow muscled her back in. You can see she is quite spent in the video, but I think she will be just fine considering her exit.

Scioto Smallie.jpg

301 - 308 of 308 Posts