Ohio Game Fishing banner

281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Took the kayak out for a quick power hour to a section of river I have not fished yet. It paid off. Caught everything on a buzzbait. The 2 biggest came from a dead slack pool really close to both deep and fast water. The rest of them scattered, a few in fast water,and a few in a slow deep pool with rocks/wood/and weeds.
Never did take the time to slow down and pick it apart. Save that for when I have more time...

20200827_122005.jpg
20200827_122015.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
Took the kayak out for a quick power hour to a section of river I have not fished yet. It paid off. Caught everything on a buzzbait. The 2 biggest came from a dead slack pool really close to both deep and fast water. The rest of them scattered, a few in fast water,and a few in a slow deep pool with rocks/wood/and weeds.
Never did take the time to slow down and pick it apart. Save that for when I have more time...

View attachment 373161 View attachment 373163
Nice! -so much water, but so little time it seems!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Got a good one on a top water spook last week. A thick 18.5” brute. She almost got the best of me, jumping high out of the water 2x. Literally dragged her on the bank by the skin of her lip. This was after fishing 2hrs only catching dinks, but had a ton of blowups in shallow water.

It seems to be picking up, I am getting pretty good numbers, but the size is just not there for the most part.

If I’m not working top water in the evening/morning I am working structure with a bitsy bug jig and craw trailer or working seams with a wacky rig. Feels good to be getting regular bites with an overall slow summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Went out this afternoon rained about the first half hour got a couple in a deeper pool on a rocky bank on the easy shiner dragged off the bank across the top. They were both spitting out craws. Sun came out got very hot and nothing. Then it clouded back over and found some more at the head of another pool with pretty good run coming in. Alot of late strikes so switched to joshy craw and jig they lit it up. No big fish today biggest 14-15" but ended with +20. Had a blast. Need to find where these hawgs are held up in quarantine this year but for me its hard to leave fish to go search.

GL

·
Registered
449 Posts
20200829_205153.jpg
Beautiful night last night, did not want to leave! Terrible photo!

20200809_192142.jpg

Found "a van down by the river" - a real fixer upper! Needs a little work ,great view ...bring snorkel!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally cracked the 18 inch mark this morning. Got this 18.5 incher in a long pool of gently flowing water . Been getting a lot of 14 to 16 inch bronzebacks with a couple just over 17 lately. Saw something different while out this morning. What looked like a leaf swimming across the water turned out to be a bat. It climbed onto the log and hung out for a bit. It tried to fly off but fell back into the water only to cling onto the log again. After about 10 minutes it flew over my shoulder off into the woods.
4E186AD5-6593-4B4E-8F53-3DE72357800B.jpeg
A4C7E495-22BB-4713-B167-10D654A1E486.jpeg

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I have not got any big ones my last couple trips,but have caught decent numbers up to 14/15"... most all of them except a couple real small fish up tight to rocks in fast water,or just off the fastest stuff feeding into it.
Top waters have worked well. But also getting them on a ned rig and a silver fluke on a jighead.
Gonna hit it a few more times this week,but then I'm gonna start concentrating on saugeyes and crappies again. It's been really fun though!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Took the fly rod out last week and the full moon had them fired up! Got a few on top then switched to a streamer.

Nice!
Is that a clear floating line or intermediate sink? Just curious because I've been looking for a clear(ish) floating line for a while.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice!
Is that a clear floating line or intermediate sink? Just curious because I've been looking for a clear(ish) floating line for a while.
It’s a clear tip intermediate. I don’t know why they don’t make a clear floating line,it would be killer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice!
Decided to get up early this morning and hit a couple of flows. The first one I got 5 smallies out of the first hole. Then I got 2 dink largies in a small hole, then I went to an area that I hadn't fished for some time, a real long rocky area but only managed 1 rocky and 1 smallie. Disappointing. Decided to move to the second flow where I knew there were some and was I surprised. First 3 casts 3 fish on,one being real nice, 3 fish lost. Then 9 casts 9 smallies including 1 monster around 4 lb. 18 in. er. I just kept throwing up on these rocks that were under the water and kept catching smallies along with 3 big rockies, 1 I would guess being close to or over a #. What a hog. Finally had to give up. Back aching, knees aching, and hand aching all due to arthritis. S ucks to be getting old, but will continue to do it as long as I can.:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Decided to go out Sat. at the last minute after looking at the radar. Rain was moving sw. to ne. none close at that time. Got to my first spot and just started to fish and dark clouds. Started to rain but I thought it would only go for a couple of minutes then stop. oops. By the time i got back to my truck i was waterlogged. Turned on the heater and started drying out. Was just about to head for home. Rain stopped. Decided to go fish at another spot. First hole managed 4 green bass and 2 brownies. 2nd spot 2 greenies, 1 about 2lb. By this time it must be 6.00. Hesitated do to time but went upstream to a hole i knew had some fish. Was totally surprised. Got 9 greenies and 1 brownie. Lost 1 big greenie that i know of and several others that i was unsure of and had not fished the whole hole yet but decided to go because it was getting so late and my stomach was saying (eat). Good day on the creek.

Snuff

Good day! i have always had good luck on over cast days but hardly ever right after a rain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m liking this hybrid system my kids school is using. I take them to school and then go fishing. Wife will catch on to me soon enough though. Slow bite today. Did catch 4 smallies all 15” to 16”. Caught one largemouth probably 12”. All on a floating worm. All spread out in different areas. The largest smallmouth came off a fallen tree in dead still water.
7DBD2341-50E2-4562-BEA0-9A31BC3E43E5.jpeg

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Headed quite a bit east to a river I only fish 2/3× a year. If it was closer I'd fish it more. One of my favorite flows.
We floated down steam a few miles then paddled/walked back upstream
I caught 5 smallies, one a little over 17" the rest 13-15", a 20"channel cat and 2 dink saugfish.
I also had 2 more smallies about 17/18"spit my ned rig an joshy half way in. That's frustrating.
The sweet spot today was moderate current 4/5' of water on wood.
Nothing in the faster stuff today. Bite picked up about 845/9 an died off about noon.
Fun day for sure! My buddy caught a couple smallies and saugfish as well

·
Multi Species Angler
6,026 Posts
I did a short float on the nut yesterday with my Dad who is 73 and my 2 kiddos. Very short float for me, but it was a long 2 hours for them! Rookies! lol I did scratch out 2 smallies, biggest 16"r.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Went out for a short trip this afternoon. Found some in a short narrow stretch.
20200916_174224.jpg
3 small ones tite to the laydowns 1 decent rolling the weed line on near shore 14-15".
20200916_164800.jpg
Missed more than i caught maybe due to only rod i had in the truck had mono but all fish were hooked casting down river soft plastics stop and move about 6 inches. Usually better luck casting up river dragging down. Think fri and sat gonna have to go find some toothy critters.

GL

·
Registered
449 Posts
The day of the Drum

Fished down low on a creek on the east side looking for anything toothy. Gave up on that after a bit and decided to throw a trd. I had some seriously fat Drum aggressively smack that little trd with one monster snapping a hardened steel hook when I mistakenly gave him some slack while reaching for my net. This fish was well into the high 20's as far as length and I have no idea about the weight. I've had fish bend hooks straight, but never has one snap a heavy gauge hardened hook. The water temp in this flow was rather chilly at 62 degrees, it is dropping fast! - still a lot of shad though! Did get a few 15"-16" smallies as welll, not really pic worthy.

20200921_141136.jpg

Respectable fish, but not huge.

20200921_145929.jpg

Long and fat!

20200921_150008.jpg

Quite a heavy fish - had to brace my elbow on my leg.

20200921_164510.jpg

The hook that snapped!

281 - 300 of 308 Posts