Ohio Game Fishing banner

261 - 280 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hot dog those are some pigs!!! What size jig are are you throwing? I’ve been getting a few on 1/8 ounce black bitsy bug with a black Joshy trailer but no where near the quality that you seem to find. Well done very impressive!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Folks are doing well, it seems! I finally got back out last night, got three, missed on 4 or so, including one that headbutted the whopper plopper. I knew I probably wasn't going to do as well since I didn't see as many minnows jumping. None of the three were worth getting excited about, though I am trying to figure out what this is:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Went back to a newish spot last night. Saw minnows hopping everywhere, but only had one taker. Had a strike on a crankbait--was a gar--and a miss on the whopper plopper, I suspect it was also a gar. Toward the end, I landed the smallmouth in low current upstream from a riffle in fairly shallow water on a whopper plopper. Checked the gullet and saw crayfish--and his belly was fairly swollen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Waded a few miles today and got paid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind of a crazy question (at least in my head) but I have to ask about your retrieve on the river. Do you prefer casting up stream across stream or down stream when fishing for small mouths? I would assume either up or across but I would like to hear some others thoughts. Still kind of green at wading and fishing rivers.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Kind of a crazy question (at least in my head) but I have to ask about your retrieve on the river. Do you prefer casting up stream across stream or down stream when fishing for small mouths? I would assume either up or across but I would like to hear some others thoughts. Still kind of green at wading and fishing rivers.
I prefer fishing upstream,work the current seams and cover as you retrieve it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
A buddy took me to some of the skinniest water ive ever fished for smallies,it paid off. We caught about a dozen small guys between us on everything from poppers,to spinnerbaits,to trd's.
But I managed a real bruiser an a 15/16"er both on a trd with a ned head.
These two came from a Slow moving deeper hole. The rest,no real pattern again. They were scattered everywhere. Even on ankle deep flats....
IMG_08931.jpg
IMG_08861.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice job, dog.
Decided to go out Sat. at the last minute after looking at the radar. Rain was moving sw. to ne. none close at that time. Got to my first spot and just started to fish and dark clouds. Started to rain but I thought it would only go for a couple of minutes then stop. oops. By the time i got back to my truck i was waterlogged. Turned on the heater and started drying out. Was just about to head for home. Rain stopped. Decided to go fish at another spot. First hole managed 4 green bass and 2 brownies. 2nd spot 2 greenies, 1 about 2lb. By this time it must be 6.00. Hesitated do to time but went upstream to a hole i knew had some fish. Was totally surprised. Got 9 greenies and 1 brownie. Lost 1 big greenie that i know of and several others that i was unsure of and had not fished the whole hole yet but decided to go because it was getting so late and my stomach was saying (eat). Good day on the creek.

Snuff

D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very nice. What river? Have had very little luck on the Olentangy, which is typically solid for me up near Worthington. Lots of 8-10" smallies though. Hit the upper Scioto past Delaware and caught 2 smallies, 13" and 16" and a fat catfish, 17" all on craw crankbaits. Cat gave my 4 lb test line a workout.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,026 Posts
Mike, you put a lot of time and miles in on those river bronze! Nice one!!

261 - 280 of 308 Posts