close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

river smallmouth questions

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tcba1987, Oct 20, 2004.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i know its getting kinda late in the year and the water temp is dropping quickly but what do you guys have success on for river smallmouth this time of year. how late in the year do you catch smallies from the river ?? ive been told they WILL bite as long as there is open water to fish is this true ?? are the saugeyes hitting in the tusc or the stillwater at uhrichsville yet ?? thanks in advance guys. when does the buzzbait bite stop in the river?? ACTION ?? i still have NEVER caught a smallmouth on a buzzbait in the river. :eek:

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Oh boy river smallie on buzzbaits.......fun fun fun!

Brian, I emailed you and have not gotten one back yet. Let me know if you got it or not!

3. catking

catking Banned

My small river season for smallies starts now until around Jan 1st. I use nothing but shallow running crank baits, and do quite well with them. The trick is to be at the right place at the right time. I've seen where the smallies will bite like crazy for only 45 minutes or so. Sometimes a little longer. Look for bait fish jumping out of the water on a cold morning ;) . Very early in the morning is the BEST time also. Right before day break up until around 9 am . Sometime in that period, they will feed.... CATKING

4. I'm heavy on the black clacker buzzbait from late September till around the third week in November. The thing about bank fishing on the river is, you have to know where the fish are and throw over the same spot endlessly. You might have to change buzzers or change cadence, but they work this time of year for size more than numbers.