Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have many different set ups at the moment but my river set up contains a Lew's speed spool bait caster with 10 lb power pro, on a medium heavy 6'6" gsx tournament casting rod.

My frustrations are getting higher and higher as i keep breaking off! My texas rigged beaver gets stuck in rocks constantly which im sure wears down the line, then if i back lash my lure goes flying miles down the river....

Is the braid causing this or am i going to have the same frustrations with fluro?

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i may do that...its kind of hard to tell on braid if its compromised

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
I use power pro but on my casting reels it's 8 pound diameter minimum, thinner than that and it gets wrapped around outside the spool. Don't think I've had a break off in years, I'll tow the kayak back upstream with the line, I'll straighten the hook or break the lure before the line breaks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
330 Posts
i personally would't run a braided line smaller than 20lb on casting gear. particularly on a m/h action rod. i'd bump up to 20-30 pound braid for worm/jig, if not higher even.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
10lb is entirely too small.... 10lb braid is for finesse fishing with spinning gear...

I cant imagine how much line it took to fill that spool...

if you must use braid, I wouldn't go smaller then the mono equivelant of 14lb... even 20lb braid is more of a finesse spinning gear tool...

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very interesting pppatrick/lotp...i never thought of that...i knew that braid was a smaller diameter but i never thought about spooling it with a certain mono equivalent...ill upgrade to 20-30lb power pro, or spool with fluoro

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
very interesting pppatrick/lotp...i never thought of that...i knew that braid was a smaller diameter but i never thought about spooling it with a certain mono equivalent...ill upgrade to 20-30lb power pro, or spool with fluoro
I wouldn't go lower then 30lb... youll have similar problems with 20lb...

40lb is good overall size line for braid... its prob the most versatile size...

of course, other problems will present themselves that you may not be aware of because no line is perfect for every situation but for an all around size for braid 40lb is solid...

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
appreciate that! for river set up / flipping / pitching...40 should work well for me!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I use 30lbs exclusively for worm/jig. I fish heavy cover with it too and I have never broke off. But for the river I use flouro. Braid is amazing but on rocks the abrasion is terrible I have to re tie all the time flouro is better for that IMO. 20lbs flouro for the river. Don't forget to have a sensitive rod cause I always have trouble feeling bites if I'm not using a heavier weight. Oh down size if you want more hook up. T rig don't work well on smallies in the river. I learned that from numerous hook sets followed by every four letter word you can think of.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T rig don't work well on smallies in the river.
i beg to differ...i fish T-rig beavers ALL the time and miss maybe a fish an outing if that....that is my go to bait hands down

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
It's been hard to beat a Texas rigged plastic on the river the last few years. If your missing fish, start looking at the hook your using... I've been using a straight shank hook tied with a Snell knot, and my hookup rate has been phenomenal!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been hard to beat a Texas rigged plastic on the river the last few years. If your missing fish, start looking at the hook your using... I've been using a straight shank hook tied with a Snell knot, and my hookup rate has been phenomenal!

this is great advice! This ONLY works on straight shanks...you can put a snell on an off shank hook but you wont get the action that the straight shank has. Also, a huge key, is to be patient. Give it a 1..2..3.. set!! From what i understand the fish moves the bait around in his mouth, and that explained my lack of hook sets when i first started using flukes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hmmm I have trouble with good hookaets. I wait a bit longer then I do with largemouth. But I know tons of people and have trouble getting good hook sets with T Rigged plastics. Know I only use black/white and purple tubes on tube hooks. I get bigger smallies and I don't get hung up as much as you think. But I use the warrior tubes that are 4" long. Bigger bait = bigger smallies. That isn't so true with LMB

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
Hmmm I have trouble with good hookaets. I wait a bit longer then I do with largemouth. But I know tons of people and have trouble getting good hook sets with T Rigged plastics. Know I only use black/white and purple tubes on tube hooks. I get bigger smallies and I don't get hung up as much as you think. But I use the warrior tubes that are 4" long. Bigger bait = bigger smallies. That isn't so true with LMB

I use both a Texas rig and an insert tube head with tubes on the river. For Texas rigging a tube, try one of the kahle style hooks from either eagle claw or lazer trokar. That trokar tube hook is one wicked mother! Big bite, and the tip angle reduces hang ups tremendously!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I use both a Texas rig and an insert tube head with tubes on the river. For Texas rigging a tube, try one of the kahle style hooks from either eagle claw or lazer trokar. That trokar tube hook is one wicked mother! Big bite, and the tip angle reduces hang ups tremendously!

That's what I hear but how much are they and how many do you get. Cause the tube jigs I get like 10 for a buck and a quarter at fin feather fur. But I do wanna give those a try.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
That's what I hear but how much are they and how many do you get. Cause the tube jigs I get like 10 for a buck and a quarter at fin feather fur. But I do wanna give those a try.

They're pricey. $6.99/4. Worth every penny to me. When compared to everything else I buy for this habit, $6.99 is a drop in the bucket.

·
I FEAR NO FISH
287 Posts
Haven't been on for a few days so I just strolled into this thread...but the guys suggestions about a heavier braid on your baitcaster are dead on target. That 10lb. braid is so thin that it will "dig into" itself...resulting in a backlash and your bait snapping off and flying into the next county. At first glance...you look at braid just like mono...basing your choice on "pound strength"...but with experience you'll find DIAMETER playing a larger role. Braid is so strong that 30lb. is similar to 8lb. mono in diameter...which can lead to the troubles you experienced. Just fatten that diameter up and don't worry about the lines break strength. I use 65lb.braid on my frog rod...and I realize I'll never need that much strength for bass...but that diameter is PERFECT for trouble free powercasting from shore. Also like was said earlier...save that 10lb. braid for a spinning reel...it will work great on one. I think the tips the guys posted here will help you out a lot. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts