Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
from somebody that normally floats the mid to lower LMR we decided today (08/17) to try some new water. all i can give away is that is was a river and the water was moving (don't want to give away anybodies spot). got on the water about 7:30 AM with high hopes that we would get into some good fish today.....river levels good and getting to the put in spot i see about 12"-14" of visibility. for august we are greeted with unusual cool temps and a cool breeze to add to that. wishing i would have brought a long sleeve shirt i put that behind me with the thought of a big smallie getting my heart pumping warming me right up. about 1/2 mile into the float i see the first bit of good structure, a big branch sticking out of the water. middle of the river right below some rapids i think to myself that tree is going to have a fish on it. i angle my cast armed with a Zulu up past the tree so i can tickle it just right past the tree. as my bait twitches closer to the tree i feel some resistance. i lay into it only to feel what i think is the log but man was i wrong. after that slight pause where you think its a snag my line darts away letting you know its not just a tree bass. after a few good runs and a attempt to pull under the kayak to break free I boat the first fish of the float. a nice chunky 16" smallie.
[/URL][/IMG]
getting a nice fish that soon after we put in got me excited for what the day might bring. long story short we ended up having a great day out on the water with good friends but didn't end up with the numbers of fish we thought we might bet into. with four of us floating we prolly managed 20 smallies between us with most of the fist coming between me and one other guy throwing a Zulu and a pumpkin tube respectfully. to get the heart really pumping two of the guys did have what they thought were some bruiser smallies only to find out they were some nice channels. nothing wrong with that at all but when you hook into it thinking smallie and you see that catfish boil it is a bit of a disappointment. all in all we had a great time on the water with everybody catching some fish so i cant complain at all. would have gotten more more pictures but i left my camera at home and didn't really feel too comfortable using my phone too much on the river.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts