Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a decent group of koko fisherman lately. So thought id try maybe getting a on-going thread started.. maybe get a localized thread of water conditions and any hazards on stretches etc etc. If it sticks then sweet if not oh well.

Anyways

8/12/2013: Spent a couple hours wading down the kokosing water clarity greatly improved since last Thursdays clarity (or lack there of). was back to it normal, clear with 3' visibility easily... Water levels came down a lot since then a say atleast a foot since last time. Average depths encountered was less then three. Which has also slowed the flow to its norm. (I need to learn the technicals on that lol) overall its back to perfect! Bite was good we finished the night with 14 fish in all mostly smallies, biggest being 15". A couple rocks bass and largemouth along with a carp and another species waiting to be identified. Cranks were working best followed closely by a gulp smelt minnow on a jighead spinner. Also we waded from arch park upstream a qtr mile or so then back down to crenos.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
934 Posts
Noticed a decent group of koko fisherman lately. So thought id try maybe getting a on-going thread started.. maybe get a localized thread of water conditions and any hazards on stretches etc etc. If it sticks then sweet if not oh well.

After that, you thought you wanted to post more about the river ?! :confused:

·
Multi Species Angler
6,095 Posts
Heck yeah! Maybe we can get 400 guys in the river this weekend and call it a party!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said it was to know the flow and current conditions water wise along with obstacles ei tree down etc etc not hey everyone lets post a picture of all our smallies we catch here! Forget I freaking said anything if this Is hows its going to be. Try to help out fellow yakkers and waders so they know what there getting into when they get ready for a float or wade and I get this crap its seriously getting old.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Anyways

8/12/2013: Spent a couple hours wading down the kokosing water clarity greatly improved since last Thursdays clarity (or lack there of). was back to it normal, clear with 3' visibility easily... Water levels came down a lot since then a say atleast a foot since last time. Average depths encountered was less then three. Which has also slowed the flow to its norm. (I need to learn the technicals on that lol) overall its back to perfect! Bite was good we finished the night with 14 fish in all mostly smallies, biggest being 15". A couple rocks bass and largemouth along with a carp and another species waiting to be identified. Cranks were working best followed closely by a gulp smelt minnow on a jighead spinner. Also we waded from arch park upstream a qtr mile or so then back down to crenos.

I love the smelt minnows by gulp just plain catch fish, now you added a spinner to it all the time? How does it look because I know if you just reel those minnows with out twitching them a little they don't look so good

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dstiner... I say thanks for your posts about conditions and effort to get an ongoing thread. I like to come over but an hour drive from C-bus is a little far to come to see what it looks like. Thanks for the advice & reports of the past & the future!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also appreciate the condition updates. I drive from Mansfield area once on a while and it is nice to know ahead of time that at least the river will be fishable before making the run. If I get there and there are 400 people in the river...OH WELL.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey dstiner86. Can't help making one more comment. Usually stay on the sidelines but feel the need to jump in here. I don't post a lot on this site, may be I should do more.
But I really enjoy reading and seeing what other OGF members are doing, and reading about the joy they experience on the lakes and rivers. I really have a hard time understanding how some can be so stingy about sharing some general information on this site. I know it is only a minority, but what would this site be like if all their reports went as follows. "Went fishing today. Got on the water and fished. Caught some fish. A great day where I fished. Hope to see you out there fishing" For those who do share experiences and pictures, I say thank you, and please keep posting. For the few who feel compelled to "keep it to themselves, perhaps you write your posts in a diary which you can keep locked, only to be opened when you pass on to that big river in the sky ( pm me if you want to know where it is because otherwise you'll find it fished out when you get there).

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
If you knew the guys posting, you'd know we share details, BUT in private, to almost anyone who asks. The biggest reason is not the members on here, it's the non members and Google searches, you'll be surprised how many people read these post, show up and litter, and keep everything they catch, doesn't take long to really impact the river, that's why you won't see where we fish on a very public forum, it's not elitist, it's protecting a fragile system

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK, maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes it just seems some of the remarks are so sarcastic. I am thinking of heading to the the river this Sunday, and maybe I'll PM you and and a couple of others and see if I can learn anything new. I'm 62 years old now, but maybe someone can still teach and old dog new tricks. By the way, my earlier remarks were'nt pointed to anyone in particular, just my feelings about some of the comments I have seen.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,095 Posts
For the record, I have sent a pm in the past that was very polite and offered some simple advice. I was scoffed at. There is a right way and a wrong way. We all have access to USGS. Anyone and everyone can tell the water level of the river before they leave the house. Fyi- I've seen more people on that river this year alone than in the previous 6 put together. Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Crittergitter,
I did not intend to single you out personally, if I was offensive I apologize. Maybe i am getting to thinned skinned in my old age. Still think that some take it too far, but as i said maybe I should have kept it to myself.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Dstiner thanks for the original post I appreciate knowing the water levels and reports from you. I don't think any stretch of the river is a honey hole or loser some areas may be better than others and if it gets to the point where the fishing declines we will have to pm people. In the original post I think he meant there has been alot of people talking in the previous 2 threads and I realize everyone can read this, but it is a forum to help each other out. Maybe keep what stretch of river out because very few people will work hard enough to find their own spots.

Again thanks for the post and I will be up later this week to fish with my brother again. Good luck on the river guys.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Multi Species Angler
6,095 Posts
I don't mean disrespect to the op. It's about the fishery. You can do more harm than good so why post the name of the river. It doesn't help the river at all. I share a lot of my fishing reports to. I share the lures used, technique, where the fish seemed to be holding such as in current or out of current, tight to wood or tight to rocks. I share if they seemed to be chasing baitfish or not. This is information everyone can use on their favorite stream the next time they go out.

Lakes are different. When I fish Alum Creek lake I say so because its not a fragile system. Pollution, floods and predation all heavily affect stream populations of game fish. It takes a smallmouth bass approximately 12 years to grow to 15"s. Theses systems generally don't support a sustained harvest. I know most members here are c&r but most lurker s are not. It's like advertuising to thieves which houses don't have alarm systems.

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
X10

You can VERY VERY detailed about how, where, what temps, what parts of the river, lures, techniques, times of day, air temps, etc....
But there's really just no good reason to mention the name of a small stream like the Kokosing in your thread title.

If you've been fishing the Koko for more than a few years, you understand what I'm talking about. The number of people on the river has exponentially gone up, while the number of quality fish has definitely dropped off.

Internet advertising is a great thing. :mad:

·
stripes and smallies
777 Posts
If i want anyone to hear what I am saying about posting spots on the rivers, It would help me if I spoke with kindness and information, instead of arrogant scarcasm. I get the reasons not to name certain spots, I dont get the rudeness.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just wondering if the increase of people using a public resource is because of OGF or it may be because yakking and fishing are both growing in popularity? Thanks Dstiner86 for the reports. I do read them often but being local I just drive down to my stretch of river and check it out myself. I do believe USGS can be confusing for some people and a detailed local report is helpful for out of towners. Being a local guy I will say this. It does not bother me in the least to see people using a public river for their recreational activities. I also believe that if the SMB was a species of fish that needed protected the ODNR would recognize this, place limits and enforce limits to the best of their human abilities. I think a lot of people that are fishing the unnamed river respect it for it's beauty, tranquility, and ease of access. I very rarely see a crowded river to the point that it scares me. I also believe that the State of Ohio is promoting The Scenic Waterways of our state. Tourism brings in money for all local economies and Knox County benefits from all of the campers, yakkers, hunters, and fishermen that come here to enjoy the great outdoors. I think sometimes some people may get a little heated when it comes to advertising a river on a public forum. But it is what it is. Dstiner86 try not to take it personal and keep up the reports for those that enjoy reading them if you chose to do so. The people that may be passionate about protecting the river will just have to deal with it. Just my two cents, as we are all entitled to our opinions!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Einstien says it well "Knowledge of what is, doesn't open the door directly to what should be". In other words A post on current river conditions and obstacles doesn't instantly mean good fishing.. I meant not to get underskin of the few I did but meant to aid non locals and locals alike in going in knowing what to expect, I've wished a few times before in long wades or trips that I had a little more information to go on to what may be down the river two miles. Especially when I'm stuck hauling yaks up muddy hills to get around a downed tree. I'm young I can handle it but some may not be able too.
Anyways I'm not trying to argue your points here but they could of been made with less sarcasm.. Because agian where yes I touched on a little how I did I clearly stated the purpose to a ongoing was to have all posts on water conditions localised to one thread. what lies in stretch 1-2 may not be what likes beyond 3. In other words unless u find a report of the whole river you only know what that section is like not what likes downstream or upstream. Either way The point was not to boast on qualities of fish. So for those who wish to burn me at the stakes for the evil I've unleashed then do so but know my intentions were not to be damage a fine water way but to help those who wish to or love to enjoy it, enjoy it with a little more ease. And for those who appreciated my report I say thank ya.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I can say that the ground has changed by chapel were you could land your canoe or yak at before is now very deep so if you fish that area you will need to land your vessel at the little area right after you come out of the rocks otherwise you will have to land on a sand bar down the way and drag back up and get soaked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts