close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

River Or Lake?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by JIG, Nov 11, 2004.

1. LAST YEAR WAS THE FIRST YEAR FOR ME ICE FISHING ON THE STATE LAKES. MOSQUITO WAS ABOUT THE ONLY SAFE ICE TO BE ON IN MY AREA. THIS YEAR LIKE ALL THE OTHERS THE LAKE IS DOWN AND CLOUDING UP. I DONT EXPECT A GOOD FIRST ICE BITE BUT STILL NICE TO TRY. SHOULD I STICK TO FISHING THE CHANNEL ON LOW WATER AND FISH SHALLOW ON HIGH ICE? THANKS JIG :confused:

2. I for one cannot explain last year. It was without a doubt the worst ice season in my 57 years.Seemed like all the local northeast ohio lakes suffered the same malady. I did equally rotten @ milton , mosquito , mogadore , pymatuning and some farm ponds. Since I grew up on mosquito that I thought it was my ace in the hole. lot of guys on this site flocked to presque isle, pa last year since they were doing as well ? as I was.
    This year I am going to use northeast indiana as a backup. If we have a normal season locally , first SAFE ice is usually the hottest fishing action . I use a boat until freeze up that way I have an idea as to the fishes general location. When icefishing I concentrate on panfish. If you did good or even 1/2 good @ mosquito last year my hat is off to you. I was almost ready to proclaim myself an expert and last year cured me of that PDQ.

3. I Was Only Able To Catch A Couple Crappies And Cats. I Drilled Dozens Of Holes, Check Holes At Night But Didnt Fish Shallow. This Was Amistake For As High And As Clear The Water Was. I Ice Fish Pits Alot And I Fish 6 Ft And Do Well. Mostly Of Trees. :)

4. I had a fair year last year at Mogadore, did OK at Portage Lakes(crappies at North Res.), Mosquito was TERRIBLE. And then, with the help of one of our fine fellow anglers, I was introduced to Presque Isle Bay, PA. I'll still start out early ice here, but when it gets safe up there, ROAD TRIP!!!

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

great year at mogadore...couldn't find a reason to leave.

6. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Over here in Pa. , just across the line in mercer county, Shenango lake produced for me all season. We caught big crappies, gills, and perch consistently. had safe ice at golden run area on jan. 11 and caught 75 fish that day. Looking forward to getting up to presque isle this year.

7. Thanks For The Information! This Year It Sounds Like Ill Have To Renew My Pa License And Maybe Go North. The Water Table Of These Lakes Makes For Unpredictable Fishing! I Know I Want To Try Below Some Spillways Also But Thats Another Story. :)

Jig