close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

river levels & saugers

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by truck, Mar 11, 2005.

1. With the river level at about 40 ft do you all think it is not a good time to give it a try?Or does it not matter that much this time of year?Have not been after them for over 15 yrs.

2. was down in the east liver pool area 2 weeks ago water was in the mid 30 ' s. still a little early i think. we need a good warm up. we had some good dayslast year at new cumberland dam. bright jigs with twisters and a large fat head. good luck

3. I would imagine the river fish and lake fish have something in comon. Most fish are holding in deeper holes and warm inflow. I would check a good map for such. ;)

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

lake and river fish are WAY different as far as im concered. This time right now is when saugers and walleyes begin gathering below the dams/tailwaters to begin feeding before the spawn. They are not in the deeper holes, they are moving out of them. Jig tipped with a minnow is hard to beat. Go with the lightest jig you can get away with and still feel the bottom. Early mornings and evenings are the best times. The first few hours after dark can be good to in late march when they really move up to spawn. You hit it just right this month like I did last year at New Cumberland on the WV side and you can limit out in 20 mins.

5. This would be the difference of a big river and a shallow one. :)

6. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I thought we were talking about the Ohio? :confused: :D

7. although most fish will hold in the deep holes, it all depends on the depth at the tailwater. if water is 30 ft eyes will hold in the slack water of the tailwater all winter. They lay on the bottom before spawn out of the current.
    The males seem to run first.
    If the river is shallow the will hold as far as a few miles away from the tail in the deeper holes till the temp rise.
    As far as river eyes and lake eyes being sim. I guess it is a simple statement am I should have explained myself better. :) Most of our stockings start as river fish. The fall let down along with the spring rains we had the last couple years has had eyes on the move. They never stay long and are grouped shortly after spawn. :cool:

How is a lake like a river but a river like a lake!

8. Thanks for the repleys guys,even though we did not catch any sat at least we got out :) Daryl