Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mainly a cat fisherman and occasionally catch a nice hybrid on a carolina rig with cut shad. On most trips I mark large schools of suspended fish over deep holes and structure. Yesterday I found a large school suspended at 20-30 feet over a 60 ft hole, a couple large rocks providing current breaks. Thinking their HB's because they will graph as a chunky fish and hammer the bait but rarely hook up. (I use 8/0 circle which is a lot of the problem)
Looking for input. Live shad suspended, jigs, trolling swimbaits/crankbaits. I have a couple downrigger if that helps.
The commercial guys have really hurt the catfish population in my area. They come all the from Missouri and license under Kentucky regs. They admitted travelling that far because of the more liberal regulations under a Kentucky license. They were here for 3 weeks or so. If you talk to anyone cat fishing and they all say the catch is way down.
Slip

·
Registered
10,708 Posts
I mainly a cat fisherman and occasionally catch a nice hybrid on a carolina rig with cut shad. On most trips I mark large schools of suspended fish over deep holes and structure. Yesterday I found a large school suspended at 20-30 feet over a 60 ft hole, a couple large rocks providing current breaks. Thinking their HB's because they will graph as a chunky fish and hammer the bait but rarely hook up. (I use 8/0 circle which is a lot of the problem)
Looking for ideals. Live shad suspended, jigs, trolling swimbaits/crankbaits. I have a couple downrigger if that helps.
The commercial guys have really hurt the catfish population in my area. They come all the from Missouri and license under Kentucky regs. They admitted travelling that far because of the more liberal regulations under a Kentucky license. They were here for 3 weeks or so. If you talk to anyone cat fishing and they all say the catch is way down.
Slip
I've never done this. But from following post on here and posts on ig/fb now till they run back up the rivers in spring they do stack up in the main river. It seems vertical jigged blade baits/lipless cranks are the ticket.
I'm sure if you piss one off enough with a big 3/8-1/2 oz vibe they'll blast it. When I get some time I'll try finding some of the old posts and post a link here. If I remember right they catch some big blues doing this as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've never done this. But from following post on here and posts on ig/fb now till they run back up the rivers in spring they do stack up in the main river. It seems vertical jigged blade baits/lipless cranks are the ticket.
I'm sure if you piss one off enough with a big 3/8-1/2 oz vibe they'll blast it. When I get some time I'll try finding some of the old posts and post a link here. If I remember right they catch some big blues doing this as well.
Drifting live shad or skippies while fan casting 3-7 inch swim baits works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts