Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin to hit the river next week - up north near Delware.

But - has anyone been barelegging it yet this year? I am to cheap to go buy hip boots or waiters.

So shorts and shoes here I come... Think the water is warm enough?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fished the olentangy south of deleware with no waders on thursday. The water actually felt good after i got used to it. So ya the the water is warm enough to go out into with out the waders for sure.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I have waded the Scioto with only shorts and a old pair of shoes in years past and had trouble with a rash(maybe its just the river that Im in) sounds funny I know but yet when your feet and chins are all ate up its not so funny:( might be worth your while to buy a cheap pair of waders or hip boots, just my 2 cents, good luck out there on your favorite stretch.

·
LyleStyle
72 Posts
Glad to hear the tangy is ready cause every year Iput off buying waders. Haven't had a rash yet, but if I ever do i'll probably buy some then.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I have waded the Scioto with only shorts and a old pair of shoes in years past and had trouble with a rash(maybe its just the river that Im in) sounds funny I know but yet when your feet and chins are all ate up its not so funny:( might be worth your while to buy a cheap pair of waders or hip boots, just my 2 cents, good luck out there on your favorite stretch.
In all likely hood your rash developed due to wearing old moldy shoes (without socks) rather than some issue with the water quality. I'm now on my 3rd season wet wading / swimming the Upper Scioto and have yet to experiance any ill effects...The 3 faimly dogs drink gallons of water from it every summer..again, there fine!

Now the Olentangy (inside 270) is a entierly different story. Once you get inside the 270 loop you run into industrial run-off, combined sewage run-off and storm sewer run-off (along with whatever else ppl. decide to dump down the storm sewers)....Definitely would wear my waders while fishing the 'Tangy!

I wet wade from mid-April through mid-October...Once you start you will never go back ;). And if anyone is interested in wet wading gear I would highly reccomend Bite troutstream sandals http://www.biteshoes.com/fishing/styles/3915a.htm and Cabela's nylon supples Guidewear...I know it sounds a bit elitist, but this stuff is worth every penny: It never gets sopping wet, it dry's completely within 3-7 minutes, (maybe 2 min if the wind is going good) and has all the pockets you could ever need...Plus it doesn't look half bad either (although Im sure I get some looks when I walk into Kroger after a long night wading on the river :D)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Maybe its just me I dont know:confused: the old muddy shoes theory could explain my feet but it sometimes will run up my chins as well??? I waded the Darby for years without issue 1, I just thought I would mention a potential issue.

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
I floated the Olentangy in a belly boat yesterday and was not cold at all.

"Now the Olentangy (inside 270) is a entierly different story. Once you get inside the 270 loop you run into industrial run-off, combined sewage run-off and storm sewer run-off (along with whatever else ppl. decide to dump down the storm sewers)....Definitely would wear my waders while fishing the 'Tangy!"

The Olentangy is definitely clearer north of 270, but I don't think it is too bad until you get around North Broadway. I believe that is where the sewage overflow signs start and that supposedly applies to periods of heavy rain when you would not be wading anyway. 315 runoff is probably a big culprit by that area too. If mussel population is any indication, the water is still pretty good as far south as Antrim. The river bed is full of them down there.

That rash problem is more likely due to what you walk through getting in and out of the river. Sawgrass will tear your skin up and posion ivy is our state plant. I also took to wearing lightweight nylon hiking pants many years ago. You can still get posion ivy because the oil from the poison ivy will wash through the fabric and onto your skin when they get wet.

·
151 Posts
The problem that I have wearing sandals is that gravel gets caught between my feet and the footbed of the sandal. I have to constantly take off my sandals to clean out the gravel and that interferes with my fishing ;)

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Get a yak,lol

I were heavy duty water shoes, dry quick with heavy sole and no grit gets in your toes. Big walnut warm enough to wet wade.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i waded from 161 to 270 and wilson bridge today. only caught 3 lil dinks!
1. the water was a lil higher than i thought it was.
2. the water was a lil more stained than i wouldve liked.
3. the water was def. a lil colder than i thought it would be.
i did have waders on that are pretty good with cold water but see point # 2!
the stained water caused me and a big giant rock to battle and it won with a devastating trip that sent me all the way into the big drink dropping my pole and sunglasses filling my waders up, my ol my what a sight that wouldve been from the bank!!!!!! lol

·
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Guys....

I'm currently 22 - and i've been wading the that strech of river for as long as I remember and have never had any type of rashes... I'm sure it will feel good as soon as I hit that water and get my feet wet.

I'm excited to get 2 days off this week - should get some fishing in.!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Talked to a couple buddies today who wade alot and they havent had any troubles either, as I mentioned maybe its just me, I never considered all the weeds that I walk through to get to the water that does make alot of sense, there is some unhealthy things being washed/dumped into the river(and not just the human kind we all think of) that are better off avoided if at all possible, hope you all have a great year on your favorite stretch of water.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I get poison ivy BAD so I watch for it constantly. CONSTANTLY. Now I leave a bottle of soapy water outside my car when I fish so when I get back I can wash off before touching ANYTHING on the car (keys, shoe laces, etc.).

That stuff is EVERYWHERE along the banks, roadways, paths, etc. around here. I've wet waded the Olen. up and down for years and had no problems (from the water). Poison Ivy and other weeds, I HAVE had problems with. This very well may be your problem.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
The weed I hate the most is Nettle or Itchweed. But I learned a neat trick from High school biology teacher that can reverse the effect of itchweed as long as you know what it looks like. Growing somewhere close to this plant will be one with leaves almost the same but the ends are rounded, not spiked with a needle like nettle. The stalk is real juicy, pick it, and rub the stalk on the bumps made by nettle, it will make it all better( I'm a dad with small kids,lol). Nettle injects an acid, I forget the plants name, but the stalk is alkili(spelling isn't a strongpoint) and they counteract each other, you may still have some effects, because there is more than acid at work, but 90% or more will be gone. Another tidbit, take vitimin B a few hours before going outside, your pee might turn a bit orange, but biting bugs hate the smell it sends thru your pores:)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Its probably the itchweed as was mentioned earlier or just some nasty grass, I would venture to say its not poison ivy as the rash is not nearly that bad, just a itchy spot here and there that when you no doubt start scratching it you get a couple sores, thats the price some of us pay I guess.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was in Big Darby Creek saturday with two buddies, we used my buddy's pelican boat and also walked some stretches. Between the 3 of us we caught 15 smallmouth, biggest was 2.5lbs, average size was about 1.5-1.75lbs. All of them were over 12 inches.

The water level and clarity was excellent. Next time I am bringing swimming trunks :p

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Itchweed is awesome!! Nothing like having wet legs from wading and running into some itchweed to make ya feel alive!!:D We always used to rub what we called "waterweed" on our legs if we hit itchweed. Waterweed kind looks like bamboo, real fat stalk, grows close to the water, and holds alot of water. It seemed like it made the sting go away almost instantly if you rubbed it on where ya got tagged by itchweed. Just break off the stalk on rub it over the area. I have no idea what the real name of the plant is though, we just always called it waterweed.

Jake

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
When I used to wade fish, I always said that getting itchweed was like a badge, to get to the good spots you had to earn it. Funny thing is I NEVER had had poison ivy, I can walk right thru it, burn it and nothing, but now I'm knocking on wood.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts