close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

River back up at Devola dam

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Buckeye1955, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Buckeye1955

Buckeye1955 Marietta River Runner

A good rule of thumb for safety at the Devola dam for the locals is the rock pile on the east side just out from the lock wall. If it is under water, don't take a boat up by the dam. With that much water coming over the dam and the river that high, you get alot more of the hydraulic effect that creates the suction action up by the dam. The rock pile is back under water tonight when I was down there. They are either letting some more water out of the lakes or they got more rain up river then we did here, but it is running pretty hard again. At normal summer pool, there is a good 2-3 feet of rocks sticking out of the water. That all came from a dredging effort by the state many, many years ago. They piled that stuff up going to barge it out and the river came up and spread most of it out again. They never bothered with it after that.

2. Hey buckeye thanks for the report, seemed like the water was in between last week, too many fast runs on the track side to get your drift set especially the fast run off of the wall. I like it when water is up about 2-3 feet or just at the rock pile because seems like the pools are more defined and fish will hang around longer and stay active. I just bought a 17' Tracker and am itching to get it down that way. Thanks again for the tip on the rock pile, now that you mention it I don't remember seeing too many boats when the level is down like that.

3. Buckeye1955

Buckeye1955 Marietta River Runner

If you are coming some distance and would like to know what the river is like at the dam, drop me a pm and I"ll go look. I'm just up over the hill in Devola. Doesn't take long to run the HOG down there. Gives me an excuse to wet a line.

4. Last Saturday the water was running really hard and fast up at the dam, fishing was slow at best!

5. Thanks Buckeye i will definitely pm you for a report.