Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i live in sidney and fish loramie pretty regularly,but im looking for something different. I wanna try the gmr. I scouted what i think looks like a decent access spot for shore fishing. Ive got a ton of questions but ill just ask a few basics. For catfish would i be better off using shrimp or cut bait? Id like to catch a smallmouth this year. Suggested lure? Ive got a rebel wee craw and a black buzz bait. Would those be a good start? And last with the recent rain what kind of flow rate would be too much to fish? I looked it up and the spot i wanna hit on the gmr is at 1070 cfs.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
For river catfish, I think it's hard to beat cut shad or skipjack. Finding/catching them can be difficult though. Smallmouth lures vary with time of year and water conditions. I like crawfish early in the year and minnows later on. I enjoy fishing jigs and swimbaits and my friends do very well on tubes and soft plastics. This time of year I would stick to faster moving water or washouts behind riffles. Fish the breakline of fast/slack water and you'll find some good ones. I don't know the GMR well enough to advise on flow rates. I usually stick to a 5 day rule after a bad storm before the water clarity returns to normal. I wouldn't let that stop you from fishing, though. Fish can be caught in any type of conditions if you try hard enough. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Rebel wee craw would work fine for smallllies... May wan to consider changing out those little treble hooks for larger ones though..the smaller trebled will rip right out of a decent smallie.

As for catfish in the GMR... I think that right now...the best bait,hands down,no contest....are crawdads...catch a few that are 2"-3"...and fish below the low dams..on the bottom or under a float..they are phenomenal bait for river cats in July and august

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Ty for the advice. i think im gunna go try to find some crawdads.

You are on the right track with the rebel craw and the buzzbait. What satisfaction is there to throwing a hunk of meat out there for a smallie? Cast your catfish bait out there and then start winging those other baits for a smallie. Eat the catfish you caught while you are telling stories about the smallie that crushed your buzzbait which you released to catch again for a better story.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Livers and night crawlers will catch all the cats and carps you want. Fish on bottom any where it is deep and slow.
Chartruse Rapala will get you lots of smallies and saugeyes at the same time. It shows up in the green water for them. Real it upstream into the rapids from the calmer water also around stickups and bushes. You might even catch a cat on it, I have.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
You've got enough info already as far as where and what. As far as smallies go if you've got a rebel craw and buzzbait use'em. Wear those lures out real good. You'll catch fish and learn a few spots they like to hold at the same time. Lately I've tackled up with a few boxes of lures and 3 poles and always end up throw'en mostly only one presentation. I've found a focused presentation usually will out perform an arsenal of lures being thrown. It will enable confidence and experience, for you a rebel craw and buzzbait is plenty good ammo to nail numbers and a few hawgs. Let us know how u do.

Here's a good article to get you started and you already have two of the 4 lures mentioned. :)

http://www.riversmallies.com/four-winning-lures-to-catch-more-river-smallies/

·
Registered
830 Posts
First catch a smallie, then hook that thing through the back with a size 10 hook. For a monster flathead!! I'm kidding guys.

Use live shad for flatheads. Cut shad or skip jacks for blues. I never fished the gmr, but I been hammering some flatheads on the Ohio River this week. A bunch of 5-10 pounders with a 30, 36 thrown in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I find it hard to keep shad alive when hooked and only use it dead or cut. Blues and channels don't mind a bit. Suckers and sunfish stay much more lively when used as bait should you be chasing flatties. The most important thing to remember when hooking your bait is to leave the gap open so it can catch the lip of the fish. I have started hooking smaller shad through the eyes.

On top of that, if you can catch shad, you can probably catch shiners, chubs and minnows. These all work great and if you get them from the same river you are fishing, they match-the-hatch, so to speak.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you have shad about 5 inches long hook them through the nostrils. I have had them stay alive and active for up to 4 hours. You just cant wing them out there 60 yards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.