close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rising & Falling Vermilion???

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by jojopro, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Anyone know why the flow on the Vermilion fluctuates so much? While I was fishing yesterday on the V there would be times where the current had a decent flow and then all of a sudden there would be virtually no flow. It was back and forth like that all day. You can see this up and down spiking on the waterdata site http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?04199500 it is especially evident on Apr 06, Apr 07, and Apr 08. :confused:

John

2. Yeah the V is the worst when it comes to perfect water for fishing, most of the season its blown out or too muddy, its a shame because its the closest to me so i end up hitting Rocky or tribs instead. No wonder the baitshop went out of business there, it was always empty.

3. this is just a shot in the dark. The V is kinda narrow compared to some others . When the wind blows out of the southwest the water will tend to back up as it exits to the lake. The harder the wind gust the higher flow to the lake will make the water level go up. A long calm pause with no wind will let the water exit the tributary and lower the level back down. With the next gust of wind the level will go up again. As the water flows out faster to lower the water level and backs up to raise the level it will changer the current flow faster and slower. I have seen this happen before on windy days sometimes the water would rise over my dock then recede then raise again. Again this is just a thought i am not sure that this is the sole reason for the fluctuating water levels but i am sure is has something to do with it.

4. While fishing near the marina on the Rocky river this past week I noticed the flow of the water changing speeds. Being fairly new at this fishing business I thought I was just seeing things until I noticed a meager set of riffles in the water that would come and go. The water was churned up one minute and flat the next. A fellow fishing next to me explained it was the "lake effect", not the snow kind but the effect of the wind blowing across the lake raising the water level on our side. This reminded me of a model at the Great Lakes Science Center that explained it. It also has something to do with depth (or lack of it) of the water on our side of the lake. As the wind blows and the water rises, the current slows. The closer to the river mouth the greater the effect. I'm guessing I was a mile to a mile and a half from the mouth and the effect it had on the flow was obvious.
    BTW I hope I didn't divulge away anyones private "honeyhole" with this post :rolleyes:

5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. I would have to agree with JumpinJackBass and MickFly that it is likely the wind gusting over the lake and pushing the river back in on itself. Now that I think about it, I recall times on the Maumee river when the wind would steadily blow hard out of the NE and even create white caps on the river and the current would come to a near stand still.

John