Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy OGF! Thought I'd up date you on some recent fishing trips. I decided to fish one of my favorite rivers, The Rio Grande. To fish this certain section of river requires a hike in just under a mile with a 800' feet descend, which is a breeze. Now after spending 2 days down there the hike sure is a mean one...

I was able to find a great camp sight next to a cold spring that I would call home for the next 2 nights.

After a great nights sleep I was up early rigging my fly rods and as I went to pull out my 4x tippet, all I had left was 12''..... I thought to myself, "This is going to be an interesting and frustrating time with 5x".

Few casts in I hook up and get schooled by a big fish.... Took my whole set up, rough way to start but got my blood pumping. I retied on a PT and the same green caddie larva pattern and not long after that I brought in my first cutbow.

I got schooled again by a big fish but thankfully it just took my dropper. I did mange a to catch a couple browns in the 12-14'' range. After the sun hit the water the fishing slowed and I made my way back to camp for some breakfast.

After breakfast I was itching for another tug and thought I should try some new water. After a nice hike I was back at it and was rewarded with this pig.

Boy this fish had me all over the place, I was scrambling over boulders as the fish was racing down stream. I don't know how I managed to land this fish.

Same deal as the morning before, up early to beat the sun. This time I was able to connect on my first hit of the day.

Move up to the next run and get schooled yet again by a big fish, this time is was a big brown. First time I have encountered one of the elusive big browns the Rio produces.

Since I wasn't far from the Red I decided to hike the mile over and check it out.
I started working my way upstream hitting likely holding spots and Bam! I've got a screamer heading up stream. As I follow it upstream it changes its mind and goes down stream even faster, I change directions and end up waist deep in water! I climb out and hear music to my ears, the real still screaming. I gather myself and bring the cutbow to hand...

After that excitement I continued to fish and got a few of these guys to cooperate.

It sure felt good to be down there, but the Rio sure is hurting for water. There are a few places now you can rock hoop across the river, which usually is way to dangerous to do. The trout were eating an assortment of flies, caddis larva in green, black midges, PTs, zug bugs and I got a few on brown stoneflies. Note to self for next trip- make sure you have 3x and 4x tippet!

Chill bro and fish the Rio!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I found myself down in the gorge again for the second week in a row. I wanted redemption with those cutbows that schooled me last week. Bag was still packed from last week, just had to add food and some clothes...

Wednesday was brutal, blue bird skies and hot! Managed to catch some small browns and rainbows in the 10-14'' range, the big ones were evading me...

The next morning was a different story...

I worked hard for this fish and I was glad to have 3x tippet for this one...

He taped out at 19''. Took a fly I tie called The Charddis Larva

Well fishing slowed as the sun hit the water and I was able to get 1 more decent fish before it was time to hike out.

This fish went crazy went I hooked it, gave me 2 jumps about 2 to 3 feet out of the water! Taped out at 17''

I would have snapped a few more pics but I forgot my memory card in my computer...
Also, I only managed to break off once on 3x the 2 days I was down there. Broke off on a 14'' brown that was freaking out at the bank, go figure....

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yeah, Im jealous also, just curious where abouts in NM is this area your fishing and are those "wild" fish??

Ive only fished the San Juan in NM which was pretty cool but I ddnt get to fish it in its hey day, a few years later so the fish were all beat up and mostly stockers, that area is so depressed.

Salmonid

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fishinnick- Thanks for taking the time to read my report. Your always leaving me great comments!

Salmonid- The section I fish is north of Taos, NM and just south of the CO boarder. These are wild fish, Rio Grande Cutthroat used to be the only trout swimming in our northern rivers until Rainbows, brook and browns were introduced. The cutbows (Pictured) are hybrid cutties/rainbows. They are able to reproduce and can grow to large sizes. Brookies and browns aren't stocked anymore and are doing fine reporducing in our streams. The Rio Grande Cutthroat is being reintroduced to some of its native range, but this will time quite some time.

Most of the rivers and lakes here are stocked with triploid Rainbow trout due to whirling disease. To find wild fish you have to hike a bit and stay away from the put and take fisheries.

The Saun Juan doesn't' have any reproducing rainbows as well, browns reproduce and are doing really well in the SJ.

Believe it or not but the San Juan is a world class tailwater that has been producing 20''+ rainbows and browns for years now. They have completed 2 in stream trout habitat projects in the past 2 years. I'm not sure what the number is but I know there are thousands of fish per mile...

This fish don't look depressed?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
its been about 11 years or so since I was at the SJ, caught a 100 bows in the 2 days there and had about 6 that looked really nice ( Healthy) including a 7x 20.5" beast on a #24 Adam Bomb, the others all had no side fins after being rubbed off on the runways, LOL still a cool fishery. That looks like a great spot you have there and reminds me of a lot of fishing I did back in Colorado..man do I miss those days...

Thanks now Im totally depressed....LOL

Salmonid

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its been about 11 years or so since I was at the SJ, caught a 100 bows in the 2 days there and had about 6 that looked really nice ( Healthy) including a 7x 20.5" beast on a #24 Adam Bomb, the others all had no side fins after being rubbed off on the runways, LOL still a cool fishery. That looks like a great spot you have there and reminds me of a lot of fishing I did back in Colorado..man do I miss those days...

Thanks now Im totally depressed....LOL

Salmonid
That all sounds about right, the pressure is very high now. It reminds of steelheading in the spring, 10 people in every hole. The insect life in that river is incredible, it can produce some great fish. There's about 4 miles of C&R barbless single hook only and a lot of those fish are beat up, streamers stuck in there back and there mouth beat up... I go there for guaranteed fish and the gorge is for solitude and big wild fish!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've always wondered about cutbows. So the cutbows themselves actually reproduce? It just seems weird reading reports everywhere of lots of cutbows caught out of river X but very few if any bows and cutties. Take the wild tiger trout for example. Even though they're extremely rare, brown and brookies will occasionally do their thing and produce a tiger, but then that tiger can't go on and produce more tigers. And I noticed most of the pics I see of cutbows the fish are pretty big. I figured they're big since they don't have to spend energy on reproduction(like tiger trout, tiger musky, wipers, etc.) but I guess that's not the case if a cutbow can reproduce with another cutbow.

Anywho, I want some!lol. I got the chance to fish out west(in CO) for the first time last year and it was an awesome experience. One of the days I even pulled off the grand slam(browns, bows, brookie, and cutties). Will be looking forward to your next post!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts