close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rinkerbuilt... Free?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by PumpUpTheBass, Jul 29, 2007.

1. PumpUpTheBass

PumpUpTheBass JonBoatWannabe

Possibly getting a small boat for free. I was just wondering if anybody could help me with any info on the boat. It is an old rinkerbuilt. 16' with a 90 Chrysler on it. Supposedly it is only rated for 60. So i believe it is 2 stroke. It still will turn, and smoothly. so its not seized. Is it worth restoring?? There are no seats and the steering cable is shot. The floor is rotten and probably will get painted if i get it. I plan to fish adn do some water sports with it. So what are any body's opinions on this boat??

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Make sure the transom is not rotten.
    If it is rotten it is probably not worth your effort.
    Transom replacement must be done correctly espescially if you are using a motor that is too large for the boats rating.

3. PumpUpTheBass

Very good thought. Should i have it checked by a professional or just look for signs of water damage and rotting?

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

If you've never owned a boat before, have someone check it out for you that knows what to look for.

I'm assuming this is a fiberglass boat? If there is a lot of wood rot, you may be looking at quite a job. If the floor is rotten, the stringers may be also, and there is a good possibility the transom could be too. All in all, if you do it yourself we're talking about a LOT of work. If you hire it out to have it done we're talking about a good chunk of change. My thoughts are do i want to spend money to fix an old boat, or do i save that money to buy a better boat later?

As for the outboard, Chrysler's don't have the best reputations and parts are often difficult to find. (Not trying to offend any Chrysler fans here. :D) Plus, as was mentioned you really shouldn't overpower a boat. It's not worth risking harm/injury to you or your boat and if something does happen your insurance won't cover damages if they find it was overpowered to begin with.

Good luck.

5. Maybe I made a wrong assumption but I think an ODNR ranger would at least make you remove boat from water if not fine you for having a motor 50% bigger than the boat is rated for. I think the state is serious about that rating.

My 2 cents.

Fisherball

6. PumpUpTheBass

I had no clue abot that. Wow. Well if i did get it i have a very good boat person to help me out. I als ohave access to new engines for wuite cheap. If it does appear to be a lot of serious damage i am going to turn it down for sure. It is fiberglass, I dont know too much about this boat or the motor. So thanks to all who have given answers and whoever else will.