Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bassin' Buckeye
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought several bags of hollow tubes off of a buddy that is sort of getting out of fishing (his loss). I have fished tubes before, but sort of gave up because of not knowing how to correctly rig one. Whenever I tried Texas rigging with an offset hook, every couple casts the tube would end up sliding down the hook and be clumped in a "j" shape at the bottom.

Please fill me in on how to Texas-rig these hollow tubes. Pics would be appreciated if available.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

·
your REEL friend
550 Posts
Use a Shaw Grigsby HP hook....Eagle Claw makes them. I prefer 2/0 or 3/0 depending on the tube size. This hook has a wire keeper wound through the eye and clasps back to the shank. The tube will not slide down!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I typically use tube jigs just because I get a better hook up. When fishing heavy cover you have to fish a Texas Rig and I only have the problem you mention when I set the hook but as long as there's a fish there I wouldn't call it a problem. I also use a 2/0 or 3/0 wide gap offset hook. I like Gamagatsu. I'm not sure what your doing to create that problem. When you come back out the side of the tube, the tube should be riding on the offset portion of the hook, that's what keeps it from sliding down. The only thing I can think is that you are coming back out of the tube too low which would allow your offset to be inside the tube rather than the tube be riding on it if that makes sense.

·
Where's the fish ?
734 Posts
Buy some rubberbands and tie it in a knot around the hook . Slide it up to the bend so it stops your bait from being pulled down the hook . Works great for soft plastics . You can cut it close or leave the two ends for a little action . The are also useful for keeping your treble hooks from becoming tangled on your cranks in the boxes . They're about a buck for 250 .

·
Registered
894 Posts
have any of u tried old hams weedless tube hooks, i swear by these and u can get them in many different weights, bps is one of the select few places to find them, fishermens quarters in dayton can order them, what i like about these the most is it puts the weight inside the tube with a wire weed guard, plus it weights the nose portion to create the nose drop as if foraging on the bottom, plus no weight on the outside of the tube to possibly get hung up, they usually run around $2.99-$3.50 a pack of 3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts