close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Riggin the rubber worm

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by KSUFLASH, Apr 19, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Ok, am I the only person with this problem?? When I rig a rubber worm to be weedless. When I set the hook, it seems the rubber worm just bunches up down near the hook, and the point of the hook barley penetrates the plastic, which means no hookup with the fish. Am I doing something wrong here. I would say 80% of the time the worm bunches up on the hook. Any suggestions?

flash-----------------------------------out :D

2. Try rigging your soft plastics Tex-posed. It is the same as the Texas rig, but the hook is brought all the way through the bait, and just the point of the hook is stuck back into the bait (skin hooked).

3. I thought a picture would do better than an explanation so I did a quick search. Rooster was right, Tex-Posed but this site shows a picture of it unless your not used to or new to the Texax Rig. Extra Wide Gap with Offset Hook Shank style hooks help too to keep the bait from sliding down the hook.

Here is the link:
    http://www.georgiariverfishing.com/tips and techniques/texas-rigged_worm.htm

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

i think gamakatzu makes a pretty good EWG worm hook, owner is probably a little better but you'll pay a few dollars more.

5. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Try the Mister Twister "keeper concept" hooks.
    They have a barb that goes into the head of the hook.
    This allows the worm to hang very straight every time.
    I use the 3/0 size for 6 inch worms.
    Always push the hook completely through the soft plastic when you first rig it.
    This cuts a nice channel in the worm,and allows for much better hooksets.
    Another plastic worm trick for curly tail worms.....make sure you hook them in the correct side.
    I always insert the hook on the side of the worm away from the tail.
    In this way the hook does not act as a water displacer,and you get much better tail action at slow subtle speeds.
    This also keeps the tail off the bottom.

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Pull the hook through, and bury the point back in like mentioned earlier (foreskinned). You may have to adjust/reseat it every now and then, but it's worth the trouble if you're missing fish.

7. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

FORESKINNED????!!!! Can you say that here??!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :D :D

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I think we just did :D

9. i agree with lewis. buy the the type with the barbed pointy thingy. :)

10. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I think I found my problem. I need to be using some bigger hooks. Gander Mtn. Here I come.

thanks guys,

flash----------------------------------------out

11. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

..... and after you catch a couple fish, resharpen your hook. ;)

welcome (back) discgolfer ..... nice avy :D

12. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

13. Rooster, has it right! Just put it all the way through and then bring it back under the skin. It'll stay pretty much weedless and you still get a good hookset!

14. I can show you how I rig a worm if you want a Mogadore trip. It will be hard to get me to put down my rattlin rap though. Let me know. I am currently unemployed and fishing most every day except Wed. Pesky job interviews!

15. I find that after you Texas Rig your worm if you run a tooth pick through the worm and the eye of the hook. It works great to keep your tubes in place also.

16. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

Wanted to say hi to a fellow golden flash. I was class of '94.