close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rick Clunn changed my mind.

Discussion in 'Tournament Discussion' started by esox, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I'd posted under the thread, "tournament changes we'd like to see", that winners should describe their pattern. After reading a recent, (June/July '05), In-Fish interview with Clunn, (penned by Gord Pyzer), I've changed my thoughts on this.
    Clunn had pushed, successfully, for a B.A.S.S. rule change that would prohibit tour pros from seeking help or assistance from anyone prior to a tour level competetion. According to Clunn, 80% of the pros were hiring guides/locals, and buying marked maps previous to the events. In other words, they were buying victories.
    Clunn said, "That's not what tournament fishing is about. Competitive fishing is about my ability as an angler against your ability as an angler. What many people don't realize is that fishing talent has very little to do with actually catching fish. It is the ability to find fish on your own without any help or assistance".
    I'd always believed the part about finding vs. catching and I believe that applies to all species. Clunn had just put it into the proper perspective and I can't buck the master. Lesson learned...

2. I agree 100%. :) That is why I nominated the regular Joe, that will fish Erie without the aid of all the other charter captains, :p as one of the Greatest Erie Anglers. Hats off to those of us that continue to enjoy the individual challenge of this great sport. :D

3. ranger487

ranger487 OhioPro Lure

Thats why I like the off limits because you have to figure the fish out that day.

Mark

4. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Great post esox, i agree with clunn

5. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

I agree, You must earn the respect of the fish you catch. They should be shaking in convulsions with just a glimpse of me approaching in my Hodgeman waders!

6. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

When it comes to money and fame people will try anything. That is probably just the tip of the iceberg as to what depths anglers in tournaments will go to get a win.