close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ribs in the smoker!!!

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by twistertail, May 23, 2005.

1. I did some ribs in the smoker yesterday and they were AWSOME! Found a really good simple rub recipe
    1/2 cup celery salt
    1/3 cup paorika
    1/3 cup dried garlic flakes
    3tbs fresh ground pepper
    thats all there is too it. Rub it into both sides of the ribs and smoke for about 4 hours at 225. My wife didnt want anything very spicy and I was a little dissapointed about that but this simple rub is great, not spicy but really good.

2. You've been watching the Food Network haven't you? :D ;) Thank's for the recipe, I plan to try it one of these days.

3. Yep sure have, how could you tell?:rolleyes:
    I also have a book called the Barbecue Bible that has all kinds of recipes for rubs, sauces, marinades, butters, glazes all kinds of stuff. I have been using the smoker for the last few years and love it. I did a turkey last year for thanksgiving and will be doing it that way from now on. I have also done ribs and pork chops and made some andouille sausage that was AWSOME! I'm doing a boston butt this weekend for pulled pork sandwiches. Need to get some fish to try in there, may just get a salmon from Kroger.

4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Twistertail,
    Is there really any other way??? :)

5. I never want to cook meat any other way now!
    By the way I used that Jack Daniels wood chips and they are great. I have read that the wood does not really make that big a difference in the taste as long as it a hard wood. I have used hickory, mesquite and now this JD which is oak. Cant say I really noticed a difference, maybe if you tried them side by side you could. I know you could smell the whiskey in the JD wood.

6. Hook N Book

Yep, I've tried the JD chips a few years back and they infuse a good flavor. My favorite is an Apple, cheery and hickory mix. Now, that combo can drive'em nuts. :D
    Those Boston butts work great too.

7. Ingredients

2 tablespoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    enough for 5 pounds pork spareribs

Directions
    1 In a medium bowl, combine the paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, ground black pepper, cumin, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Stir this together well and apply liberally to the ribs. Cover and refrigerate ribs overnight and remove them from the refrigerator 1 hour before smoking.
    2 Prepare an outdoor smoker for 200 to 225 degrees F (95 to 110 degrees C).
    3 Smoke ribs for 6 to 8 hours, or until crispy outside and tender inside.

8. Got a question for you smokers. Are you guys using charcoal, gas, or electric?
    I had a Brinkman charcoal unit years back and loved to use it but thought that feeding the thing charcoal got to be a hassle. I was thinking of buying one of the Brinkman units with the electric element. What do ya'll think here. You guys aren't into those high tech big buck types are ya?

9. I use a char-broil electric ...
    and a char-broil charcoal at times...
    I had one I made from an old fridge that was the best out of them all...
    My cuz has one I use when I really really need to cook alot and his cost almost $400.00 ... :eek:

10. Best I ever used was an old cold smoker my uncle had...
    That was more for curing then cooking because he did allot of hams...

11. DANDE

DANDE DANDE

Thanks Clyde Ive Been Waiting On That Recipe Since You Posted The Chicken Recipe. Ill Give It A Try And Let You Know What I Think. Have A Good Week. Dan Jacobs Dande

12. THANKS let me know what you think...

I should add wrap in plastic wrap then place in the fridge over night then unwrap after taking out of fridge... or unwrap dump on your favorite BBQ sauce re-wrap then wrap again with foil and cook in the over at 225 degrees for 3.5 hrs unwrap brown in broiler or on grill and done... nummy

13. I have a Brinkman gas smoker, there is a pan you put the wood in that sits over the burner.
    What kind of ribs do you guys use? I had the danish spare ribs this time and dont think I'll do them again, not enough meat. baby backs are good but just too expensive for no more than you get. I like the country style becuase they are thick but have a lot of fat and bone in them unless you get the boneless county style, I think the country style is shoulder?

14. If you smoke then trim all the fat off you can it will taste rancid after awhile...
    NOT GOOD TASTING AT ALL :eek:
    I buy slabs of ribs and trim them myself...
    Allot cheaper that way and I get the cuts I want which stand up in my rib racks just right... I toss out the stuff I trim off or sometimes freeze it to cook for myself but my guest never get the trimmings ;)
    So I guess the next question is should I use ribs racks
    and to that I say YES!!! :D

15. When you say "slab of ribs" is that baby back ribs or something different?
    I dont have rib racks, i just lay them on the racks in my smoker.

16. How about smoking a boston butt? how long per pound? Also was wondering if there is a difference in a boston butt and just a small pork roast? I want to do something for pulled pork sandwiches and everything says to use a boston butt but I dont really want to do something that big for just my wife and I, I was thinking of just a 1.5 or 2 pound roast.

17. ...slabs is when you purchase 3 or more in a package and
    it is the whole side goes for about $1.79 lb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 (5-7 lb.) fresh pork shoulder/butt
    1 tbsp. salt
    2 tbsp. sugar
    Pepper to taste
    1 1/4 c. vinegar
    1/2 c. ketchup
    1/2 c. barbecue sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp. crushed red pepper
    Dash of hot sauce

Put pork in crock pot. Sprinkle salt and pepper over shoulder and
    add vinegar. Cover and simmer 12 hours. Remove from pot and pick
    meat from bones. Strain liquid and keep approximately 2 cups. Add
    remaining ingredients. Mix with minced meat and return to crock
    pot. Cook on low until juice is cooked down (or cook on a high
    setting for shorter time). Freezes well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My usual method of preparation is to add some hickory or mesquite logs (or chips) that have been soaking in water for a few days, and smoke the butt on about 250 degrees for 7 to 9 hours. However, when in a rush for lunch, you can do one in the oven on about 350 degrees for about 30 minutes per pound.

Regardless, to prepare the butt, I either do a rub or oil marinade. The rub consists of chili powder, cumin, garlic, mustard powder, paprika, kosher salt, brown sugar and pepper. I’ve never really measured amounts and tend to eyeball it. The oil marinade consists of 3/4 cup of olive oil, 8 fresh chopped basil leaves, two table spoons of fresh chopped rosemary and a couple table spoons of garlic. Salt and pepper the butt then spoon the marinade over it. Cook as outlined above.

One of the mop sauces I use (that I used today, in fact) is a vinegar sauce. Make this about and hour before you eat because it’s good fresh and it doesn’t keep for more than a couple of days. Ingredients:

1 cup of water
    1.5 cups of cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 or 2 freshly chopped jalapeños (chopped thin. You can make the sauce less spicy by removing the seeds. I never do, though)
    2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
    1 small onion chopped
    2 tablespoons garlic

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and stir. Spoon over the meat that you pull from the Boston butt. I’ll post my more traditional (i.e., tomato based) mop sauce soon. Go ahead, fix some. It’s good, I promise. Enjoy.

18. Hook N Book

I have a Mr. Meat, Brinkman and a Smokey Mountain. I really like the Smokey Mountain...you can really load that puppy up (it's the bigger model). All of these units are charcoal burning. If you don't like the idea of buying charcoal why not use all wood with a little charcoal mixed in.
    Twistertail, Sounds like you need to invite some guess over. :D

19. come on up hook, you could probably show me a thing or two. I may just buy a whole butt and cut it in half and do half this weekend and the other later so I can try a few different rubs and sauces.

20. i thought I smelt something cooking Sunday!!!!!!!

Try going to the fast freeze and see what kind of meat they have. That's where we have our beef proceced and have bought some other meats down there that have been really good too!!!