close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rewiring the boat with questions

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by bmffishing247, Jun 28, 2007.

1. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

Okay I am getting ready to rewire the boat. The old wiring was in a mess and it needed cleaned up. Have a few questions.

I am currently running 2 batteries in the boat. one battery for the boat motor and the other for the trolling motor. My question is what is to much to hook up to one battery. I don't want to drain one or the other too much. I want to make sure I don't over draw from the motor battery even though the motor charges the battery as it is running.

What is safe to run from the motor battery?

Here is a list of the items I need to run from the batteries:
    Anchor light
    Bow light
    Blige
    Recirculating pump
    Livewell pump
    Trim and tilt
    boat motor
    radio
    2 fishfinders
    aux plug
    trolling motor

I was thinking that it would be okay to run the trim and tilt, bilge, reciculating pump, aux plug and livewell pump from the same battery the the motor is hooked up to. My thinking is that i will use these very limited and on an as needed.

On the house battery i would run the trolling motor, radio, fishfinders, bow light, anchor light.

do you think this is to much to run from each battery. I wanted to see shat all you had hooked up to batteries to get a good idea.

I will also be using an onboard charger when the boat is parked. when i connect the charger do i need to make sure the componets are stacked ontop of the charger connecter or does this not matter.

Thanks for the help
    Jesse

2. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

You might have a problem running radio off trolling motor battery. When trolling motor running it might cause interferrence with radio and other electronics. I had a problem a long these lines and it was a headach to figure out. I can be done but might cause problems fyi. 2 cents

3. These are just off the cuff comments. No expert here.
    I would add a 3rd battery.

Main motor battery usually has an alternator so ok to run:
    Anchor light
    Bow light
    Blige
    Recirculating pump
    Trim and tilt
    boat motor

But I would add these to a third battery because they might drain the motor battery with extended (motor off) use:
    Livewell pump
    radio
    2 fishfinders
    aux plug

Keep this a separate battery system by itself:
    trolling motor

Nothing worse than a dead battery a long way from home.

4. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

My opinion I would install a battery switch if your going to rewire, I run three battery's on my boat, main one is for starting the main engine, but I also have the depth finders on the main battery so I can monitor the starting battery, I have a 135 gallon livewell that has 2 pumps and an o2 system, also a 40 gallon livewell with a fill and recirculation pump, when I get to my area that I want to fish I flip the switch over to #2 now everything but the depth finders is running off the deep cell battery's when I want to move to a different spot then I flip to #1 which is the starting battery and the motor charges it, have never had an issue with power since I put in the switch, plus my deep cells are AGM 1000 amps each.............Doc