Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you guys who have invested $$$$$ in Stinger Scorpions only to use them a couple times and have the paint peel off (you think they'd fix that problem)...
DON'T retire them. Go out and purchase as many different colors of reflective tape as you can (either packaged or by the foot in some stores). Scrape off any remaining paint and use the reflective tape in matching colors. Dots can be added with nail polish and the end of a matchstick or Q-tip. It works better than the original paint as the spoons can be used over and over. If tape does come loose (occasionally)... just replace either on the boat or when you get time at home. You don't have to match the color exactly but width of color stripe should be close. Make sure the tape does not "overlap" the edge of the spoon. Try to leave about 1/32 of an inch or so from the edge of the spoon. It has worked for me for a couple of years and I find no difference in performance of the spoon. Using spoons right out of the package along with "re-touched" spoons in the approximate same color/pattern, I have found no difference in production of fish. Give it a try.
Oh yeah, I have heard from others that "Sally Hanson Hard as Nails" works to protect paint on new lures, however...... DON'T DO IT!!!! The lacquer chemically reacts with and wrinkles the paint!

·
Registered
251 Posts
thanks for the info, that's a great idea!
About 1/2 of my stingers have the paint worn off. A question, where do you find reflective tape at??? A craft store??
thanks again for the info.

ok i'l throw in a report, I perch fished sw corner of kellies in 3-4 footers without much luck. Tried trolling around kellies and managed to get i walleye.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchase reflective tape at "The Rodmaker's Shop" in Strongsville. I have also seen it at "Dick's Sporting Goods", "Gander Mountain" and in the Cabela's catalog. I would also check the craft stores as that's a good bet also.
The problem with sending the Stingers back to the manufacturer is I get so many that lose paint that I'd spend lotsa $$$ in postage and gas goin' to the post office. I feel it's just easier (and cheaper) to sit around at my leisure and put a couple strips of tape on 'em.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i will check out rodmakers in s'ville since I grew up there and visit often, thanks again for the info.

went out on a charter 6 :00 am and the 5 of us got only 15 W's fishing hard until 3:30 pm. Fished in niagra reef area, then north towards the border.Fish were better towards the border. 2-4 ft waves , good conditiions, guess there was some bad t-storms in S. Mich last night that might have turned off the bite today???

·
Registered
942 Posts
Don't count on getting replacement spoons from Stinger. Spooner sent in about 20 and they replaced 1 of them and sent the rest back as "used too much" (Some never caught a fish)

That said, they do work better overall than anything out there and are worth refurbishing. The tape mentioned above is a great idea and they'll last a long time that way. Another way is to get quality repainting supplies and do it yourself. I know Sportsmans Outpost in Vermilion has a kit with about 5 colors that does a fantastic job of it. Denny has some hanging that you can ask to see if you make it up there. I'm sure other bait stores have something similar if you look around.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Don't worry about the tape overlapping the edge. A sharp pocket knife worked around the edge of the spoon and slightly at an angle will trim it nicely back to the contour of the spoon. Tip: Put the eyes on both sides of the spoons! Better tackle stores have the tape and eyes! I find them at Kames(N Canton).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts