Returning to College

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Columbusslim31, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

OK. So 10 years after dropping out of college, I start winter quarter at Ohio State in January. I'm terrified. I'm 31 years old and I'm still not certain what degree I should go for. I'm leaning towards pre-dental, but being that I can only take 10 credit hours per quarter, as per the agreement with my job that's paying for my education, I'm liable to be 40 by the time I graduate. Which isn't so bad, but I guess I need reassurance that it would be worth putting the time in and dealing with the stress that comes with pursuing such a degree. Basically at this point I'm looking for a little guidance. (My guidance counselor wasn't much help.) When I first attended college I majored in computer programming. Then I took a programming class. Suffice it to say, my career in that field ended shortly after. I guess I'd just like to hear from someone who's found what it is they want to do with their life and how they came to that conclusion. I've heard, "Whatever your interests are, choose a job in that field." Well that's kind of hard when you have so many interests and you can't make a decision. I don't know. I guess I'm just looking for some insight. I'd like to make sure that the next 30 years of life mean something. Not to say that a degree can do that, but I would think that it helps. Anyway, it would just be nice to know that at one point some one else felt, or still feels, the way I'm feeling now. As usual, ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

2. I am a school teacher and love what I do. I look forward to going to work each day and helping the children of our future. If you are looking to make a difference in people's lives, than look into the education field. Some people avoid the field because of the pay. Don't let that detour you. I have a family with three kids and we do just fine. Having vacations and breaks during the school year and the summers off are a bonus. I take advantage of my summer breaks to make extra money and yes do some fishing when I can. Take advantage of the opportunity to go back to school and if you like kids than look into the education field. We need more teachers!

3. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I've been thinking about the same thing myself. I quit going to classes in 1997 after 4 years of school at OU. Still paying for that. I'm 33 now. I've done fairly well for myself... but I have kids now and I want to finish a degree if for no other reason than to set an example. However, they don't have degrees for what I do now. The one thing I am certain of is that I am in a much better position to do the school work now.

4. go for it. if you wait the only thing that will change is that you will be 32 and terrified and a 41 year old dentist. i did my undergrad in business so i could get a job. ended up hating it and feeling like i was dying a little every day. then saw all these old guys around 40 who didn't like what they were doing and only looked forward to the weekend or retirement. life's too short for that. went to seminary and finsihed when i was 29. been doing it 25 years and look forward to most every day. the money seems to take care of itself when you like what you're doing too. good luck.

5. Columbusslim31

I'd like to think that myself. Fortunately, considering the circumstances, I'm without children. So if anything, at least my distractions aren't as intense as others my age who choose to continue their schooling. Good luck Rarevos and thanks for the reply.

Worm man, thanks for your reply as well. It's been suggested that I pursue a teaching degree. Hearing from a teacher, definitely gives me more insight.

Anyone else with any jewels to drop?

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i have no degrees,nor did i even attend college,but just thought i'd chime in, for what it's worth;)
    one of my younger brothers was in a much similar position at about your age.he was pretty much a professional student for well over 10 years.in,out,in out,you know the deal.couldn't decide what he really wanted to do.he tried a few different majors,but just couldn't decide where his future really was.his wife had already gotten her masters and was teaching while he played househusband.
    finally,he found his calling.went back to school,got a degree in education,and joined his wife in the field.that was in the mid 80's.he has since gone on to get his masters nd is currently pricipal of an alternative middle school in seattle.in his years of teaching,including now,he has coached school sports,started special programs and other things.he earns over 100K a year w/benefit package.not too bad for a guy who didn't have a clue in his 30's,what to do with his life.but he definitely didn't get into it for the money,because it wasn't always that way.teaching and working with kids is his love,and he can't think of anything he would rather have done with his life for any amount of money.
    i'm not pushing the teaching profession,but merely relating a similar story.it often takes time and "experimenting" to discover one's purpose and direction.my brother is proof that when it does happen,the personal rewards can be well worth the wait.

7. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

I'm 33 and just finished my Bachelors Degree. I attended OSU several years ago then quit going so I could work more. My wife pushed me to go back 3 years ago. Finished my degree at Franklin University.

It was very tough, 3 kids and a wife, full time job, fishing, hunting etc. Glad i did it and I hope it pays off. Currently dressing up my resume and looking for a better career move.

Anyone hiring?????????!:)

8. I was a touch and go student for 15 years. I originally quite college to get my wife through school- now she is a stay at home mom! I had three loves as a kid- building things, the outdoors, and farming.

I spent my first year out of highschool living with my uncle who was a farmer and was paid a percentage of year profit. I still love farming and growing things and such, but knew it was not a career for me. I than meet the girl who I married- she nixed the idea of guide school, or or game warden do to hours vs money vs future family. When I was in high school I worked summers on custom homes, a year after high school started classes in Construction Management for a while, dropped out, got married, had first child and changed from home building to large commercial construction. I went back to school at nights with a full time job, wife, one child with another on the way. One class at a time. Went through two layoffs and but 15 years after I graduated high school I graduated with dual Associate degrees, Civil Engineering and Architecture.

I was already at the career level that I wanted, but not having a degree always made me wonder if I really could finish it.

I think that was one of the top five big moments in my life because I may have slowed down, but I completed something big, something that alot of people thought I was wasting time and money on.
    But I have have a picture on my night stand of my wife, my dad and I with me in my cap and gown and that makes it worth while.

Find something you love, and make a career out of it. The world is full of people who only look at the money they can make, yet they have no satifaction in their lives. Good Luck.

9. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

I have a lot of respect for all of you... Going back to school is tuff. I have been thinking about it for 3 years now. I'm 30 and have a family. I went to collage for social services and never finished. I would like to go back, but I don't know what to go for. I make good money now, but if I ever lost my job it would be real tuff to find something in my field with out a collage degree(I was lucky). Its a scary thought to think what would happen.. Cbus31 just do it right now.... I wish I had the ball's to do it right now....

10. C-slim31 - I can't tell you what to go for, as that is entirely up to you. Just remember, it's going to be a big part of your life for the next few years, so pick something that you enjoy. If you are interested in dentistry, GO FOR IT ! ! ! Teacher, computer programmer, business, engineering, it's all good.

I graduated high school in 1983, an went straight to Akron U. I spent 3 years there with nothing to show but bad grades and some memories (or lack-of, because the only degree that I was close to was in Intoxicology:eek: ). I had taken one computer course back then, and dropped the course. In '96, the company that I was at offered tuition reimbursement, and I decided to take advantage of it. I have been taking 1 or 2 classes every semester since then, working on a degree in ...computers.

I wish you the best of luck through all you endeavors....

11. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I have a friend who was in his early 40's and after floundering in unfulfilling jobs, committed to the OSU dental program...he was fortunate enough to be able to go full time, but he persevered and has been in practice for himself for ten years now...seems very happy and certainly better-off because of it. I say go for it...you are still young enough to get your practice off the ground, pay back all of the loans, etc...and have a fulfilling career. I bailed on pre-dent when I went to school and ended up in accounting...wish I had stuck with it and persued the dentistry...my dad is a dentist and still practicing today...specializes in implants and is doing better than ever before, working three days a week...Another FYI, his practice is for sale! ;)

Good Luck!

12. Columbusslim31

Thanks everyone for your input. As stated, it's greatly appreciated. :) I feel better about going back. So much that at one point, I considered waiting till spring quarter to attend (numerous excuses disguised as setbacks), but then I thought: what if something else happens...then summer quarter...then fall quarter... Eventually I figured, no matter what, there's always going to be something. If I don't go now, I may never go. So once again, thank you everybody. I'll try not to let you down.