Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1989 Sawyer X-17 Kevlar canoe. I got is for very cheap and it has some wear. The frame and body are in great shape, but the bottom has some deep scratches and two spots where the Kevlar is starting to show. There is also some spider webbing on the outside coat I am guessing from UV exposure.
I am planning on sanding it down, giving some areas a coat of west marine expoy and then sanding again. Finally I will paint and then maybe put a coat of clear coat on.
Any advice/experience/ suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
867 Posts
Skip the bondo. Woven glass cloth and epoxy resin/hardener. Have to clean the surface, scuff up the surface, degrease with acetone. Cut cloth to fit in one large piece but avoid wrinkles. Good time to add second layer on the keel if you will be beaching. Add catalyzed resin with a four inch nap roller, getting it thru the cloth and wet to the parent material and work out bubbles. Use a heat lamp to gently warm (directions on resin kit) as necessary and cure in dust free room with plenty of ventilation.

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is how you at the fiberglass!

Skip the bondo. Woven glass cloth and epoxy resin/hardener. Have to clean the surface, scuff up the surface, degrease with acetone. Cut cloth to fit in one large piece but avoid wrinkles. Good time to add second layer on the keel if you will be beaching. Add catalyzed resin with a four inch nap roller, getting it thru the cloth and wet to the parent material and work out bubbles. Use a heat lamp to gently warm (directions on resin kit) as necessary and cure in dust free room with plenty of ventilation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts