close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

restoring cast iron skillets?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BMS, Sep 11, 2008.

1. BMS

BMS That fish got teeth

Does anyone have a way to fix my cast iron skillet? I got it at a flea market and the out side looks great and cleans up easy after use, but the inside bottom doesnt wipe out easy with paper towels and i end up having to scrape it to get it clean, the paper towels shred and leave junk :confused:

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

sounds like it just needs a good cleaning and reseasoning.google "seasoning cast iron" and you'll find tons of info and different methods.
    i usually coat mine with oil and set in a about a 350 oven for a couple hours.
    bacon grease is great for seasoning also.it usually takes several seasonings over time to really build a tough non-stick surface,but once seasoned,you shouldn't have to scrape.

3. BMS

BMS That fish got teeth

thanks i'll give that a try, i have a wire wire brush wheel to start the process.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

don't use a wire brush,unless nothing else works.put a litte oil in the skillet.heat it on the stovetop,then pour some salt in it.rub with a paper towel(might want to use tongs) till the brown goes away.or scrub with soapy water and a scrubbing pad(non-metalic).

5. BMS

BMS That fish got teeth

this is a wire wheel on a motor. i thought if i took it down to original iron then i could start the curring process over, and whats with the salt and how much? this is a deep dish 10" skillet?

6. CES

CES

The easy way to clean is use a self cleaning oven.

Chuck

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

it's still like a wire brush.a tbsp or so of salt should work,depending on food buildup.it is an abrasive,but not like using a wire wheel.there is no need to try to get to bare metal.iron is porous which helps absorb and hold the oil.the wire wheel may harm the surfce and effect it's performance.

8. i had the same problem several years ago and no matter what i did it wold not come clean. i took them to a local welding shop and had them sand blasted. cost me 3.00 each. i had 7 pieces. well worth it. once i had them back home the seasoning prosses went very well and they are the best skillets and pots in the kitchen. this was done about 9 years ago.....

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto on that.but if he's like me,he won't have one of those,LOL.

10. BMS

BMS That fish got teeth

i actually do have a self clean, bought it yeats ago and never used the feature, this might be a goo way to test it out. thanks for the replys.:)

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

well now you can kill two birds with one stone:D

12. bucky

bucky

caution on leaving the racks in the self cleaner. it will take away the silver color and make the racks stick when you move them.

try easy off or drain cleaner, any alkali should work just fine.

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

something i learned the hard way a long time ago:eek::D

14. fry up about ten pounds of good quality bacon in one pound batches. send me the bacon, then wipe clean afterwards :)

15. My seasoning method is to use oil, Usually veggie, and start low, about 150 degrees for 30 minutes, then up the degrees by 50 degrees 30 minutes at a time, until you max it out about 500 or 550, after 30 to thirty minutes at this temp turn off the oven and let the pans cool in the oven. Do not open the door as you could warp the pans,cooling (or heating) them to quickly

For stripping old pans I have used wire brushes, and then cleaned thoroughly and reseasoned, I have heard self cleaning oven, or sand blasting, there is also a way to use electrolysis that supposedly is the best, but I haven't tried it. Google electrolysis cast iron or look at Smokingmeatforums.com under the cast iron section there was a sticky on electrolysis cleaning.

16. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

Your problem is the old gunk and your choices are to scrape it off or burn it off. I suggest burning, either with the self-clean or by putting it in a fire (that is so Lord of the Rings).

Then knock out the ashes and buff the surface, and you're back to Square One with seasoning.

I grew up with cast iron, I love the stuff. I also run a lot of enameled Le Creuset-type iron cookware.

17. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

In the oven and then during the seasoning process. I've used my gas grill to restore two griddles I inherited. I put all four burners on hi and let the griddles sit in there for two hours. The residue that was caked on these things turned into a grayish ash that blew off pretty easily. After getting all the goop off, I wiped them with veggie oil and stuck them back in the grill. A few applications later the griddles looked great and work even better.

UFM82

This works with nasty Dutch Ovens as well...

18. BMS

BMS That fish got teeth

thanks for all the tips guys, since it looks like rain all weekend this seemto be the time to try thing out, i'll let you guy know how all this works out later, i have a few to try your tips out on, + i do keep extra bacon grease.

19. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

20. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Stretch just told me you cannot see the pics if not logged in. I'll find another link.