Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been by Resthaven lately.
Just wondering if there is any decent ice up there yet?

·
Powderfinger
7,767 Posts
Except for the DA who pulled the boards and drained the best pond out there last fall.

·
gotta love bass thumb
470 Posts
Had an inch or so last week but all that went away unfortunately. I’ll be driving through that area tomorrow if I see ice I’ll check it out and post. FYI pond 7 drained to nothing because of pen stock failure. Supposed to be fixed and when it fills back up with water supposed to be restocked. Pond 10 drained extremely low for the purpose of putting a concrete ramp on heywood road. Ramp looks better than the stone that was there and pond has already started to fill with the recent rains but nowhere near capacity.

·
gotta love bass thumb
470 Posts
90 percent open water ponds 6,8,10 only ice was in sheltered areas. Only spudded pond 8 by the boat ramp it was was still dark when I checked it so couldn’t see much but one half assed whack went right through. Didn’t grab a chunk of the ice to see how thick but I’d guess half inch or less.

·
Jiggin Freak
2,532 Posts
Is there any depth to #10 on a normal year? I always thought it was really shallow but must have some deep water somewhere if they are putting in a decent ramp. Any time i head over there i usually stick to #8. Years ago used to fish #7 also.

·
gotta love bass thumb
470 Posts
Relatively shallow for sure there’s some spots that normally would be 4-5 ft range at the deepest. Majority of the pond though more like 3 ft I’d say. With that being said I’d say everything is 1.5-2 ft below that as of now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Except for the DA who pulled the boards and drained the best pond out there last fall.
well without a manager [state has not filled this position for many years - $$$$] for this area it should have been expected. The over growth of weeds on the trails of the old ponds and the roads being closed make access very hard for the adventurous fisherman. So many people are limited to fishing just the big pond and the short access off the road.
sad to hear. When opened in the mid-60's the place was wild and very clean. When they added the big pond trouble followed.
any word on when or if the pond will be re-filled?
When pond one went down 40 plus years (blizzard froze it solid and killed the fish) it was not re-filled and became a dog training site. That has not been used due to a lack of maintenance and no area manager.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts