Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Workin' is for Suckers
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to Rest Haven in the next couple days and was wondering about water temp...and news would be appreciated and I will post on what I find.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Fished this week Pond #10 & 7 & 8. Most temps were in the high 40's. Now I took these temps while wading and shore fishing.

Seems that it could warm up a little more and this cold snap is not helping.
I have been fishing for Crappies and for the most part about 1/2 dozen each time , but I had alot of throw backs. `" tubes around the brush and fallen trees.

Saw a few Bass caught by boaters towards the backs of the ponds.
I figure starting next week it should get hot with weather and fish.
Hope it helps,
Good Fishing,
JimG

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
hey mark, the donut pond has been producing short fish on spinnerbaits. :( i would try #7 with the worm and some tubes. fish it from shore for an hour or so. remember last year from shore :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Went there yesterday for a couple of hours managed 3. 2 right around 15 from I believe 8 using 7 inch worm. Hoped the fishing would of been better. I talked to some guys in a boat and they didnt have one when I talked to them. I think they were going for crappies. Didn't get a water temp.

·
Workin' is for Suckers
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got out to Rest Haven today..caught a bunch of small ones and one that went just over 15in. Saw a ton of males guarding the nest and some females just swimmin' slowly around. Water temp was right around 63 as of 1pm..Sun. Started at 58.5 at 7am. Was a nice day to fish...fished donut pond...with spinners

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
sounds like you had a good day...lol we didnt get a bite today at ladue :( wind was cold fish didnt cooperate it just plain out sucked. one thing i didnt understand though, with all the rain we had, visibility at the south end way under 44 was still about 3 ft. ?????? go figure it only took alittle under 14lbs to win i think

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
dont be embarrassed. hell we fish that place all the time and i still dont remember wich one is 10 and which one is 8 so i just call it the donut pond because if you look at it it looks like a donut. or just look for the only one with a real boat ramp :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay. That is the one I typically fish. It was just strangely dead there Saturday for me, but it was cold, dirzzling rain and the water temp never rose much before I left. It stayed around 53.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
hey corkster, ever thought about joining a bass club? just wondering cause i started one this year and we start this sunday. let me know what you think. you can pm me if you want
scott

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
is that the one with all the grass islands everywhere? if so i fished it once quite a few years back and didnt get a bite. fished from shore. didnt even seea sign of any bluegills

·
Ohio & California
313 Posts
There are few grass islands to the left when you face the pond. You have to get to it from the center of town. If you are driving south on route 269 go past ponds 8 & 10 for about another 3/4 mile. The entrance will be on your right. It looks like a normal street because there are homes when you first turn right. Keep driving on this street and it will turn into a cinder street. The drive back to it is lengthy from route 269. On the way back there is a small ranger station where you used to be able get maps of all the ponds. As all the rest, there are channels but more wide open. My brother-in-law & I have fished it several times with good luck getting Crappie & LM bass. He actually caught a 7 pound LM bass from there. It was returned. Keep in mind this was several years ago since I now live in California. I have never ice fished this pond since the gate leading to the pond is closed. Long walk. It can be difficult to launch a boat there. We used to launch his 12' jon boat. We had to lift off his trailer to set in the water. Ponds #1,3,& 4 are also back there. Those ponds I think are mainly used for dog training. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm gonna be heading to resthaven tomorrow morning lookin for some crappie. Any suggestions on anything? I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

·
Workin' is for Suckers
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have done well at pond 13 for crappie...real close to the boat ramp...to the left of it in the shallow bay if you are facing the pond. Also pond 7 is a well known pond for crappie...I see a lot of Sandusky locals there on the roadway.

·
Ohio & California
313 Posts
I had difficulty with pond #13. Fair at best. Although I did catch a sheephead out of 13. What a shocker! Keep in mind pond #7 has some channels way in the back. You cannot see them from any of the roads. A boat is a must to get to them. Keep in mind one pond we have forgot to mention is #6. Not as big as the others, but productive.

Can you guys tell, I LOVE Resthaven. Great fishery!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Didn't have a good day at all on Thursday. We didn't catch any crappie...only a few bluegills, a small bass, and a carp. It was really windy. We were using jigs in 7,8,and 10. Anyone havin any luck?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where is pond 6? I meant to go out to 8 today, but too much work stuff going on. Spent most of the day on the phone. Will try to get there next weekend.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts