close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

respooling ?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rooster, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Is there any disadvantage to respooling (mono) a few months prior to the reel being used? I'm looking for fishing related things to do (come on spring!), but I don't want to cause myself unnecessary line memory issues. Thanks!

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Not a problem. I do mine about this time every year. I also spray it with reel magic about half way on and after it's filled. Also clean all my rods, reels etc. Something to pass the time before we can really fish again.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

When it comes to monofilament on spinning reels, I spool up no sooner than the night before I start fishing. I hate memory :mad:
    I've also been known to re-spool 2 or 3 times a week if I'm fishing a lot. If mono has been on my spinning reels for more than 2 weeks I rip that slinky off the spool. Then again, I get a discount on fishing line :)
    Now when it comes to Power Pro on my musky reels (ambassadeurs) I rarely change it. Most of my ambassadeurs have 3 year old Power Pro on them. I might re-spool them this year, but I doubt that I have to.
    To answer your original question with my own personal opinion, I would not spool up until you are ready to fish.
    EH

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I feel the same way as esoxhunter, I never spool up untill about a week before I know im going to fish. I just don't trust line that as been on reels more than a few weeks. I respool atleast once every 2 weeks.

5. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

I also have found it best to not respool this early I even discourage my customers when they buy new reels this time of year .I ask if they are going out soon or is it going to sit till spring the cold temp. and time on the small spool of a reel do bad thing to mono

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Change from that nasty mono to Co-polymer (like Mean Green & G-power) and you wont have that issue..as far as the "super" lines, there all junk to me as reel line..only good for my leaders.

Hey Roost, atleast use the co-poly on your smallie gear...you wont be sorry!!
    For Flatheads i only use braided dacron...no issue with memory there either.

Scott

7. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Just my two cents.
    Spool up with fireline now and use a flourocarbon leader of 8 to 12 feet long
    when you go fishing and you wont have memory problems and you can
    change the line weight to strengthen your leaders to match your presentation.

8. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I usually spool mine by hand,in the garage,on the boat.I bring the line through my fingers.I get a like powder film on my fingers.Do you think this makes any difference.I've done it for years.As when to spool,i get the cabin fever to about this time of year.Hunting is over time to think of spring.What i do is take my reels apart,clean and lube.Clean my pools up.Clean and straighten my tackle boxes.Go over boat gear,just find things to pittle with.I try to wait till the weather starts looking better.I do spool early but more like march.

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I clean and lube all my rods ands reels this time of year. I also inventory my tackle and make a list of what I need for the coming season and research new tackle. One other thing I do this time of year is study what ever I can find on bass fishing. I don't spool up until it is time to hit the water. I respool the 1st of the month April thru October. Depending on how you store your rods or line will effect how well it last. Example: Leaving a rod in reel in your truck in the summer heat may effect how the line holds up.